Using Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By vmertsock Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 12:48am by vmertsock

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 18

How easy is it to work with compared to regular fondant, for example, Satin Ice? I'm doing a free cake for my neighbors son's birthday, but I know they'd like the taste of marshmallows better. Plus I'm trying not to have to go out and buy a lot for a free cake. I typically roll out in corn starch. Can I do the same with marshmallow fondant?

17 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 18

I really like working with MMF. I usually mix it up, let it "rest" over night and then nuke it for about 25 seconds before I knead it and it gets nice and smooth.

I also roll out with corn starch and it works fine.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 18

I have only ever used marshmallow fondant and don't know what Satin Ice is like, but i find it easy to work with the MMF and have no probs with it. I just use icing sugar instead of cornstarch but yeh you can use either the same as you use for any other fondant.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 18

I always use MMF. I've actually never used commercial fondant so I can't compare the two, but MMF is easy to work with. I always roll it out with cornstarch, unless I am having humidity issues, in which case I roll it out with crisco.

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:55am
post #5 of 18

I have worked with Wilton fondant and MMF, but not Satin Ice so my input might not be very helpful. I think the MMF is just as easy to work with as the Wilton, but better tasting and cheaper. I also mix it up the day before I use it. The first time I made MMF, I mixed it by hand and made a horrible mess! Then I read in the forums that it can be made in my Kitchen Aid. It's been much easier to make since I realized that.

NatiMF30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatiMF30 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 18

I've used store bought which of course was easy but didn't taste good. I've used MMF which tastes good and rolls pretty well but depending on the weather can be a bit tricky. By that I mean it may crack easily if I roll it too thin and the atmosphere is dry or if it's too moist it stretches REALLY easy. I have to work with it but it definitely works.

Now what I LOVE is MFF (Michele Foster's fondant) found here! It almost ALWAYS rolls very easily and works great with what ever I'm doing! Not to mention that the taste is incredible! There are a few more ingredients but for it's worth it!

vmertsock Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:00am
post #7 of 18

Thank you all so much for the input! I've decided to make a test batch this weekend on some small cakes so I can get a feel for behaviors, etc. Is there a specific recipe anyone can recommend for it? I may have to give MFF's a shot as well. I know the birthday boy really loves marshmallows, hence my thought to try mmf first. Also, has anyone tried refrigerating marshmallow fondant? One of the cakes will be a vanilla with a simple butter cream (butter, milk, powdered sugar) and has so much sugar I'm not worried leaving it out overnight in AC, however the other cake will have cream cheese icing and I don't want to leave that out, although it has an obscene amount of sugar as well. I'd rather not cover and decorate the morning of if I don't have to since there will be a lot else to do but I don't want to risk anyone getting sick either. I've refrigerated Satin Ice with no problems and it'd be fantastic if marshmallow fondant could do the same. Thank you all again for the wonderful help!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 18

I LOVE MMF! It actuakky taste good, is cheap to make, and rolls easy. I am going to try MFF just to compare, but Macsmom MMF is great to me.

vmertsock Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:37am
post #9 of 18

After looking around a bit, I saw some people add shortening right away and some add glycerin or corn syrup. Does anyone have any tips which works the best or is it better to add both? I think I read for a 16 ounce bag of marshmallows to use 1 tbsp glycerin, or someone else said 1/2 cup shortening. Thanks again for all the wonderful help!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:41am
post #10 of 18

Look under recipes and look up Macsmom Marshmallow Fondat. I don't know the recipe by heart, but I use clear butter extract as I don't have lorann oils sold around here. I know people kneed in the crisco AFTER they make the fondant if they find it is too stiff when they go to use it. i've never had to do that.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:44am
post #11 of 18

i just use the icing sugar and marshmallows recipe lol

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #12 of 18

I keep getting air bubbles in mine when I roll it out. Anyone know why this happens, besides user error, of course. icon_razz.gif

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:52am
post #13 of 18

Hi! I'm super new on here... hope I'm replying correctly (please forgive me if I mess up! lol)

Yes, I have been able to throw mmf in the fridge as well as in the freezer. I have to let it sit out and warm up for a while after being in the fridge, or my shoulders and back yell at me for a day or two. icon_wink.gif Also, I roll out my mmf on powdered sugar. -Good luck! (and take MY input with a grain of salt... icon_rolleyes.gif ) -Laura

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:15am
post #14 of 18

MMF covered cakes can be stored in the fridge just like Satin Ice...

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:34am
post #15 of 18

For those of you who haven't tried MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) definitely give it a shot. IMHO, it's way better than MMF and very easy to make (my KA does all the work for me icon_lol.gif ). It tastes really good with white chocolate added to it too.

Here's the link for the recipe if someone wants to try it.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=michele+foster&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

Here's a link that Michele posted about some FAQ's about her fondant:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

For those of you who haven't tried MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) definitely give it a shot. IMHO, it's way better than MMF and very easy to make (my KA does all the work for me icon_lol.gif ). It tastes really good with white chocolate added to it too.

Here's the link for the recipe if someone wants to try it.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=michele+foster&cat_id=-1&x=&y=

Here's a link that Michele posted about some FAQ's about her fondant:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625727-mff.html

Im dying to try her fondant... hopefully i will be able too soon, since i hear nothing but good about it! but satin ice is soooo cheap...

jdub253 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdub253 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 18

I've been using MMF for all my cakes so far... I used Satin Ice for hte first time and hated it. It was so soft I had a hard time with it. I would recommend MMF, especially if you are doing a free cake. It is very easy to use, and once I have exhausted my supply, I will probably go back to MMF.

vmertsock Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #18 of 18

I ended up making Michele Foster's Fondant, since I had all the ingredients and every one raved about it. It's fantastic! It's rather soft, so when I roll it next time I'll add a bit of powdered sugar or roll it in corn starch instead, but I think that's operator error. The recipe said approximately 3 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar and after 4 1/2 I was afraid my liquid had been too hot making it need more sugar and I didn't want it to be hard as a rock the next day. I'd rather add more than ruin my shoulders softening it later! Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions. Since I have the mini marshmallows, I'm going to squish them and make my clouds! -I'm making a little boys train cake, and I was going to pipe the clouds or use fondant but I love the idea of soft puffy marshmallows instead. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%