Need Help Tonight Cake Keeps Breaking!!

Decorating By boothgirlz Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm by jdub253

boothgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boothgirlz Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 10

I am making two 1/2 sheet cakes and stacking them one on top of the other. I tried putting the top cake on and it broke into a thousand peices.
How do I get the top layer on without it breaking?
It will be picked up tomorrow night around 6 so I need help tonight! PLEASE!!

Thanks

9 replies
Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 10

Hi...are you letting the cake cool enough before you move it?? Are you using a cake board to transfer the cake onto to other cake? You should start at one end, begin sliding it off, and do it as quickly but as carefully as you can.....HTH

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 10

did you try slightly freezing the layers before stacking? i had the same problem that you are having and freezing works for me.

boothgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boothgirlz Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 10

I am going to make another top layer and then freeze it. At least then hopefully if it breaks again it will be in bigger pieces.
thanks again!!!!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 10

You can use a cake board and slide the cake onto it to transfer to the top of the other cake. To remove, slide it off.

Freezing works as well.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 10

I alway freeze the cake that is going to be on the top layer. It's much easier to pick up. I do, however, let it defrost before icing it.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 10

LittleLinds I do, however, let it defrost before icing it.

I agree with this. I tried to ice with them frozen; it took forever for them to get dry enough to smooth.

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 10

Oh I feel your pain. I've done this with the same horrifying result you had. As the others have recommended, I'm sure freezing will help. My freezer, however, was not big enough to fit a 1/2 sheet. I ended up using a cake board to support and sliding it off. Just make sure you dust the board with ps or it might stick and you'll end up with a broken cake....ask me how I know! Oh yeah, it help to hold your tongue just right, too. DH is always amused at the funny faces I end up making while doing cake stuff (or putting on mascara)

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

I tried to ice with them frozen; it took forever for them to get dry enough to smooth.

Exactly!

jdub253 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdub253 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 10

I have those really thin flexible cutting boards. Whenever I have to move a cake I lift one end slightly, and shimmy it inderneath. It gives me a little more stability. When I stack, I move it to one end, and kind of slide it off... Hope this makes sense...

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%