Cake Cutting Guide A Must ??

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 15 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm by topaz176

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 6

Ok I know many will disagree with me.
I fully understand cutting guide for wedding cakes,( because of the elaborate work done it's very expensive)
but not for party cakes!!

Come on !!
Here in the Caribbean a birthday party is a party. No one expects you to cut your birthday cake according to a cutting guide.
That is just considered so cheap of you.
LOL

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 6

icon_lol.gif I know what you mean! In non-formal settings, we all eat like Jethro Bodine!

On the serious side, though, a person buys a cake that serves 50, based on the industry standard serving size. We explain this to them when they buy it. But they get it home, hack it up into brick size pieces, then want to sue us because they didn't get enough cake.

The serving guide is to show them "you bought cake for 50 and THIS is how you get 50 pieces out of it."

It's all CYA. See my blog with this exact example as to why we require such LONG contracts: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/contract

topaz176 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 6

That is the reason when I tell the customer it is for 50 people, they order the next size if they have 50 guest.
They want to have more than too less.
No one minds an extra piece of cake ! icon_lol.gif .

topaz176 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 6

At your party or just your friends and neighbours etc. coming over.
Do you serve cake this small ?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

At your party or just your friends and neighbours etc. coming over.
Do you serve cake this small ?

Actually, yes I do. At my grandchildren's birthday parties, the Wilton Wedding size is just perfect for little kids. At family events (Thanksgiving, Christmas, cook outs), it's STILL a nice dessert size piece, even if it's not a wedding. Folks are welcome to have a second piece if they want it. And trust me, I AM watching people to see their reaction to the size, to see if they are having more or not.

Bottom line ...... my PRICING is based on the wilton serving chart. You can take that cake designed to serve 50 and cut it in half to serve just two people if you want, but you're PAYING for cake for 50.

How they actually cut it is no concern to me. I give them the info they need so they can decide what size of cake they need to buy.

topaz176 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 6

Of course I agree with you.
They pay for the 50 serving cake.
But they already know it will not be enough.
Believe me, here we like cake to eat and take away icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%