Smbc In A Hot Kitchen

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm by miny

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 6

I made some SMBC for the first time the other day. It tasted pretty good and was easier and less messy than my regular powdered sugar buttercream. My air isnt working well and my kitchen was at least 80 degrees. The icing became really soft like whipped cream. Is that because of the heat? Is that normal? I want to use it for a cake for Friday but Im afraid that it will become too soft and slide off the cake. My hubby was going to look at window units today, so I might have a cool kitchen by tomorrow. In general, how does SMBC do in the heat? I was hoping that I would really like this icing but if it is temperamental, I might want to stick to my old standby buttercream. Thanks for any info.

5 replies
sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 6

SMBC really isn't the easiest thing to work with in the heat, but what I've found is that when the it's softer I seem to ice the cake much smoother. If it's not too soupy and you're able to ice the cake, just stick it in the refrigerator, overnight if possible) and then let it sit out for about half hour before you put your fondant on. I've done this the last few times I've made a cake in the hot whether, and the cake turned out great.

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 6

SMBC really isn't the easiest thing to work with in the heat, but what I've found is that when the it's softer I seem to ice the cake much smoother. If it's not too soupy and you're able to ice the cake, just stick it in the refrigerator, overnight if possible) and then let it sit out for about half hour before you put your fondant on. I've done this the last few times I've made a cake in the hot whether, and the cake turned out great.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 6

Its made of butter so it does not get along with heat.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 6

SMBC does not like heat AT ALL. You're lucky it was as firm as whipped cream, at 80. However, it is an absolut DREAM to work with if your kitchen is cooler, and it tastes SO delicious. You can firm it up y refrigerating it for a while--just be careful or it'll firm up TOO much.

You might try IMBC, which tastes very much the same but uses a slightly different method to achieve the meringue. It's more forgiving with heat. The chocolate basket cake in my pix is entirely IMBC.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 6

If you feel it's getting too soft just place it in the fridge until it gets the concistency you need, IMO the flavor is worth the extra time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%