Creme Colored Fondant Flowers Today. How To Color?

Decorating By cakehelp Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm by cakehelp

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make creme colored fondant flowers, one big rose and several smaller calla lily for a wedding cake due this saturday. The bride wanted white fondant covering the cake and creme colored flowers. I think it sounds fabulos, but I have no idea what to mix into the white to make it creme colored. I want it to really show that the white and the creme are two different colors.

I have to make the flowers today so that they have time to dry.

Anyone have any ideas?

5 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 6

Try a small amount of yellow and a smaller amount of brown. Either color alone may give you the desired color, but cream is so subjective. I usually use a color named "ivory" by Americolor - it looks to me to be brown and yellow combined.

cakehelp Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks ibmoser, I will try brown and yellow. The hard part I guess is getting tiny, tiny amounts of color. I guess the problem is that you easily add too much.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 6

two ideas - use ivory food coloring (that's what I use for cream coloring)

use white chocolate modeling clay. If you look in my pics, anything thing with the white roses (fair cake & 40th anniv cake) are made using that.

Best of luck.

cakehelp Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 6

YES, it worked great! I used Wilton Lemon Yellow and Chefmaster Buckeye Brown, just a little dab of each and it turned out to be a pretty creme/ivory color. Thanks again!

Now I'm moving on to coloring purple, but fortunately I have a fabric sample from the bride on that one icon_biggrin.gif

cakehelp Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the advice nhbaker. The problem is that I don't have any ivory food coloring, and I needed to make the flowers right now... Yeah, I know, should have planned better icon_biggrin.gif

I have never worked with chocolate modeling clay, but I have saved some recipe somewhere thinking it would be neat to try. Some day... when I have time... usually means never icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm happy that the brow/yellow coloring worked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%