Why Are My Cakes So Fat?

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm by cs_confections

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 19

I have a problem with fat cakes. By fat, I mean, that the cake when iced extends past the cake board. If I am icing an 8" cake I use an 8" board, and so forth.
What am I doing wrong? It makes it tough to stack my cakes because the cake wants to hang off the board and support plate between tiers.

Also, how do you make sure that when you torte a cake, fill it and then go to place the other half of the cake on top that they line up perfect? Mine tend to lean or hang over in some spots.

18 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 19

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I just had to respond because your title cracked me up....
maybe your cakes need a diet? Hee hee. Yup, I'm working with not enough sleep!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 19

I'm not sure why they would be hanging over the cake board. have your tried cutting the cake down to fit the size of the boards? I know that would be a pain but that is really all I can think of you doing at this time.

cai0311 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 19

It would be a big pain to cut the cake down. I thought about maybe buying the next size up cake board and cut it down to size. That way I can make the board whatever size I want.
The best would be if I could just figure out why my cakes don't "shrink" enough.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 19

Are you putting something on the sides of the pan so the cake doesnt stick?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 19

First measure your pans and measure your rounds.Them measure the cake on the board and stacked. Is it squishing wider?

Second, do you have straight side pans? Truly straight sides? The top and bottom diameter could be different.

Third, I find my cakes do tend to shrink a little. However, chocolate shrinks more than yellow vanilla. Sometimes it is 1/2" on a 15" cake.

Fourth, what are you feeding it? (only kidding - just wanted to see if anyone was still reading.)

My solution is to trim anything over about 1/4". More than that and it is too much frosting for the person who gets that piece.

cai0311 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks for the replies!

matthewkyrankelly-
I am not sure by what you mean by squishing wider.

The pans are truely straight. I just checked them all. The cakes do not stick to the sides of the pans. The shrink in like 1/8"-always. It doesn't matter if the cake is chocolate or yellow. It leaves me with such little space that I don't always have enough room for icing.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 19

As far as the matching the proper sides when stacking, try putiing a smear of icing from top to bottom of the layer before you separate the torted layer. After filling, just match up the "smears"! Hope this helps.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 19

I always just use a cake circle that's larger than my cake (i.e. 10 inch round for an 8 inch cake), and then trim the cake circle down to be the same size as the cake after I ice and cover the cake in fondant.

I wish they had 7,9,11 inch rounds at my Hobby Lobby but they don't so I use the 8,10, 12,and 14 inch ones. This works out great for me - however I do always need to have a border on it, but you could always trim down the cardboard before covering in fondant if you wanted to do a border-less cake.

Regarding your question about layering the cakes - I have the same problem most of the time. Some people use a cookie sheet to help guide the next layer onto the cake, and some use a cardboard round sprinkled with some powdered sugar. Maybe you could give one of those things a try...hope this helps you!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 19

Maybe your cake recipe means your cakes do not shrink when you bake them perhaps? When I bake for instance an 8" cake the finished un-iced cake is usually a little smaller than my 8" cake circle. Then when I fill and frost the cake the finished results will be a little bigger than than the 8" cake circle so that the cardboard circle is completely hidden under the cake. So I guess I have a tiny bit of overhang, but not that much.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 19

It sounds like your frosting is too thick try less frosting.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 19

What I meant was, if it wasn't a strong cake and you set a layer or two with frosting on it, the bottom layer might be bulging out a little. But it doesn't sound like that is it.

Best bet - go up a size and trim the rounds down.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 19

I always make a cut thru the cake and use this "line" to put the torted layers back together. Like the icing smear trick also.

cai0311 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 19

msmeg:
I don't think my frosting is too think. Without the frosting, the cake is the same size as the board. It just doesn't shrink.

It mush be my recipe; I start with a cake mix and then go from there. I really don't want to change my recipe because my cakes are always moist and taste really good (if I may say so).

I will try the icing smear trick to line the layers back up. Thanks for that tip! And I will bump up the size cake board I use. There is a supply shop by my work that sells all kinds of board sizes. Perhaps they sell the odd size boards and then i won't have to mess with cutting the board much or at all. I guess I know where I am headed on my lunch break.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 19

disclaimer - I had no idea there was a "msmeg" and myself, "missmeg" icon_lol.gif

As to the OP: do you use bake-even strips? What do you use to coat your pans with? I use a homemade non-stick recipe, using equal parts shortening / oil / flour to coat my pans. Between that and the bake-even strips, I find that my cakes shrink at least a 1/4" around while baking.

Oh! I also use parchment paper to cover the bottoms of my pans. I'm convinced that also contributes to some shrinkage.

I also cut down my cake circles. For instance, if I bake an 8" round, it's overall after-baking measurement is 7 3/4". I then cut down a 10" circle to 8 1/4", and center my uniced cake on it. Then while I ice, I just follow the edge of cardboard to ensure uniform thickness of icing. Works like a charm.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #16 of 19

Fat cakes are a blessing. Yes, if you watch professional bakers, they trim down their cake board. I always use a nine inch board on an eight inch cake. That way, I only end up having to trim about a quarter of an inch after the bc and fondant have gone on. I get my boards at a restaurant supply store as hobby stores only carry Wilton.

Are your cakes nice and fat in terms of depth as well? Hang onto that recipe then! You've got a good one!

cai0311 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 19

I use baking strips every time (I swear by those things). For non stick spray I just you Pam. I haven't had any problems yet.

My cakes are also thick. I posted on another thread about the height of cakes. I needed taller than 4" supports but shorter than 6" and was wondering where to buy them. So, yes, I have nice thick cakes too.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #18 of 19

I would like to know how Win cuts her cake board down AFTER she has puts on her BC and fondant? How do you do that without nicking the fondant or if it was BC without damaging it? I can't imagine doing that and how would you get it cut nice and round with clean edges on the cake circle.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

As far as the matching the proper sides when stacking, try putiing a smear of icing from top to bottom of the layer before you separate the torted layer. After filling, just match up the "smears"! Hope this helps.

What a simple but great idea! Thank youicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%