I Got A New Mixer!!!

Decorating By ybeal Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm by ybeal

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 6

DH got me the 5 qt kitchenaid stand mixer for my birthday - so excited! Can I use it to make MMF anyone know???

TIA!

5 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 6

Good for you!! You'll love it. Happy Birthday! See, now you have an excuse to use it, make yourself a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 6

YAY! Sounds like a keeper! lots of folks use it to make MMF, but since I don't make MMF I can't really help you there, I do make homemade marshmallows and gumpaste and things though, and have never had a problem, just keep it on lower speeds when mixing things that a very thick like that.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 6

I have used mine to make MMF. Grease the bowl well and use the dough hook, not the paddle. Go slow on speed at first. You may have to stop a couple of times and reposition the ball, but it comes together MUCH faster in the mixer than by hand, and I think it is smoother too.

How do you melt your marshmallows? I have considered using the mixing bowl over simmering water to avoid moving melted marshmallows from one bowl to another but haven't actually done it yet. If you try this I wouldn't grease the bowl until marshmallows are melted, then grease what you can reach in the bowl as well as the hook, add your sugar and go for it.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 6

There are a couple of videos on youtube on how to make mmf in a KA.

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try the mixer next time, I did the MMF by hand this time and for the first time it didn't work out very well. I used a new brand of powdered sugar and I'm sure that's why, it was a little bumpy...arrgghh

I did however use the mixer for the cakes and frostings and I'm loving it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%