Sponge Bob Cake

Decorating By prichardsk Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm by Makeitmemorable

prichardsk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prichardsk Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone! I have been asked to possibly make a sponge bob cake. I have only made 4 cakes in the past and have only taken Wilton course 1. I am looking for possible ideas or pictures of cakes that I could do. I have not worked with fondant so it has to just be icing. I thought about buying the cake pan and doing that sponge bob. The cake needs to feed about 35 people so if I do the cake pan I will also have to do a sheet cake. How do I go about doing the sponge bob and then stacking it on the sheet cake? Never stacked before. Only way to learn is to practice so this will be great practice for me. Also was asked how much I would charge. I have never made a cake for someone else (once for a birthday for a really good friend and I did it for free), but this one I will be charging. I have no clue how much??? I also though about a rectangle double cake and maybe cutting little notches out of the sides to make it look like a sponge and the bottom would be squared off-just doing the body portion of him. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

7 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 8

Hi prichardsk and welcome to CC!

There are many Sponge Bob cakes in our galleries here. If you click on the galleries tab and then click on the search button (located under the galleries tab) and type in sponge bob you will get a lot of hits (73 pages worth of pictures when I checked). You could also narrow down your search by adding more to your search keywords.

Here's the link with just "sponge bob" in the keyword field

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 8

I have one in my pics that I made in june.It was very easy! I'll pm you the directions.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 8

Hi there
I did one by cutting into a 12" square sponge then covered in fondant (not nearly as terrifying as you imagine thumbs_up.gif )and added embellishments its in my photos but i have to admit i had never seen spongebob before i did this cake - my class requested it (i'm a teacher) and i googled and based it on the pic i found which is not a super true likeness of him. If i can be of any help just let me know.
x

Dalicha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dalicha Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 8

I made one for my 2 years son. I used the wilton pan an a squear # 8 and was really easy... You can see at my photos. and any questions pm me nooooo problem. And take it easy it's no that hard. For this cake i will charge about $100 depends ($70.00 for the sponge and $30.00 for the squear) Hope be helpfull. Good Luck!!!

CakestyleIN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakestyleIN Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 8

My son wanted spongebob for his b-day. It was the first fondant cake I made and I used mmf. It was a lot of fun and easier working with the fondant than I thought. Give it a go! (I used a 9x13 pan)

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 8

I have a 9x13 spongebob in my pics. I did use some fondant accents, but everywhere that I used fondant, you could easily use BC. It was a very easy cake to do! You could just make it a 2 layer to meet your needs.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 8

I have a Sponge Bob here I have made - I used a 7.5" x 12' Pan.

He was covered in fondant, arms and legs made out of fondant, I used my ball tool to indent him and cut out his eyes, mouth tie, shirt collar etc from fondant. I then painted in his tongue etc. I coloured the indentations a little darker to give them some more depth.

Hope this helps. If you like I can send you the picture I copied of his face to make the cake.

Good luck
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%