Help Get Me Out Of My Comfort Zone? Creative Color Combos?

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm by miny

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 11

hello wonderful ladies.
I have an order for a cake ball tower. the occasion is a bachelorette party/bridal shower. (nothing wild- conservative group)
The woman told me she wants a mixture of dark chocolate and milk chocolate cake balls. Ok, that part is done.
I did about 3/4 in dark, and 1/4 in milk and will spread the milk choc ones out through the display/cone. The milk chocolate ones covered in gold glitter.
She wants some chocolate drizzled on the dark chocolate balls.
Now, I usualy stay in my safe zone but I'd really like this to pop. What color chocolate should I use to drizzle over the dark chocolate balls?
I was also thinking of having the top layer (or just 2 at the top?) of cake balls dipped bride/groom style (like tuxedo and bride strawberries) and would like to find something I can put on a wire sticking out of the very top...a veil? a tiara? a sign? eek! stumped!

If this was your order, what would you do? (with the color theme that has been mentioned)

10 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 11

I'd go with red, orange or possibly even a sage green colour.

ETA:
If you've got access to paint chips that might be a way for you to see what looks best.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by three_sets_of_twins

If this was your order, what would you do? (with the color theme that has been mentioned)

I would pull out my color wheel (found here http://colorschemedesigner.com/) and click on colors and play around until I got colors that scream out me to be used. icon_lol.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 11

I think pale pink looks really pretty against dark chocolate brown and very "girlie". But I absolutely love the colour combo on this cake by jaklotz1 which I have saved in my fav's. It definitely has POP factor!

I like the idea of a veil cascading down the back, but would only do that if you make it really pretty and girlie. If you go for bright colours and make it funky, I like the idea of a little sign with a marriage phrase on it. Something like "Hand in hand in friendship, heart to heart in love."

Sounds like a fun project - good luck!
Lauren icon_biggrin.gif
LL

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 11

Hot pink looks great over chocolate thumbs_up.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #6 of 11

pink, green, and the chocolate looks cute too. Maybe with a different combination of designs; like the link below

http://www.cakebybridges.com/wp-content/gallery/thumbnails/tiffany_blue_cake_ball_gift_box.jpg

three_sets_of_twins Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:08am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone!
I like the idea of the hot pink and the red...and I love the veil idea! I think Im going to try to do something with those! Will post pictures when done! thanks for all the great ideas!!! yall are wonderful!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:13am
post #8 of 11

ok.
Again, Im in the middle east.
Like I said, this is for a bridal shower.
The top layer of the cone which will be the smallest layer (or spread out here and there, still not sure...) I want to do cake ball bride and grooms. (same idea as tuxedo strawberries)
For the brides, I'll do white with some white pearls and some shiny sparkly red tool stuck on with buttercream.
For the groom....I'm going to dip in white, then dip in milk for the same tuxedo affect. I'll put gold glitter down the front of his thing he's wearing, and get a small peice of that red and white checker thing on his head and stick that onto the groom.
So that the cake balls dont clash with the red and white head dress, I was thinking to drizzle the dark chocolates with dark red.
So...milk chocolate balls covered in gold, dark chocolate balls drizzled with red, white chocolate brides at the top, arab guy grooms at the top with their little head dress. congrats sign or whatever sticking out of the top, sign can have long metallic red/pink/whatever streamers coming out of it. Just a few. (those things on the sides of little girls bikes? on the handles? what are they called? streamers?!) and paint the cone red.

Do you think it will be too much, or to just stick with plain balls and no brides and grooms?

I can also just do plain balls in whatever colors (meaning no bride groom balls) and stick some flowers in the tower here and there in between balls for a girly and bridal feel as well.

Hmm. Now I Cant pick. Maybe I should ask her?
LL

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 11

My mom and I do a lot of scrapping & card making, when we get stuck with color combos we go to the local hardware or paint store and look at the suggested room color combo cards. Most places have a trendy section that is changed every season so there is always something new!

miny Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmarie

My mom and I do a lot of scrapping & card making, when we get stuck with color combos we go to the local hardware or paint store and look at the suggested room color combo cards. Most places have a trendy section that is changed every season so there is always something new!

Great idea! thumbs_up.gif

miny Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmarie

Great idea! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%