Making Fondant Decorations Ahead Of Time

Decorating By bamberc Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm by cricket0616

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to be decorating 36 cupcakes like these
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1311888
I hope the link worked-if not, they are the pirate cupcakes that many other people have done.

Can I make the pirate faces ahead of time, and store them in an airtight container (cookiesheet with a lid) to keep them soft? I want to make them on Thursday so that I can just assemble them on Friday morning. Thank you for any help you can give me!

5 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 6

I don't see why not, covered well or in airtight containers they should be ok. I would make a few extras just in case.

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 6

too cute!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 6

Do not store fondant decorations in any sort of plastic container. I learned the hard way. I made all my decorations for Easter and left them out on a tray to air dry. I then placed them in a plastic container for transport out of state. When I opened the container the next day the were soft and sticky. I put a post up to see what I had done wrong and the reply was "not to put fondant in plastic containers" that something with the moisture did not mix.

I would make my decorations, place them on a tray and cover lightly with a saran wrap.

hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 6

How long will fondant decorations "keep" if left out drying and covered in saran wrap ?

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

They will last weeks, but they will firm up. They will no longer be moldable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%