Coloring Fondant

Decorating By shanadg Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm by DianeLM

shanadg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanadg Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 2

I'm sorry if this has been posted before however I did some looking and couldn't find my answer any where.

I have to color fondant ivory and just not sure how to do that. I could order it Ivory but then I have to get it sent from further away costing more money. Thought if I could color it myself it would be cheaper.

Also in the past I have colored Satin Ice fondant and then found it really hard to work with, very sticky. I added some cornstarch but didn't know how much I should add.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 2

Luckily, ivory doesn't require a lot of coloring, so you shouldn't have a problem with stickiness.

There are a couple of ways to do it.

Here's how I do it when I don't have to make an exact match: Knead color into several blobs of fondant, then knead all the blobs together.

If you need an accurate match: Knead a lot of ivory into about a half pound blob of fondant (depending on how much you need to color) and let it rest overnight so the color can develop.

Carefully weigh out a blob of white fondant. Weigh out a tiny blob of the pre-colored fondant. Mix together. If you need the ivory darker, add more of the pre-colored, but pay careful attention to the ratio of white to colored.

Now, you can color the whole batch the exact same shade of ivory by mixing together your measured amounts of white and pre-colored ivory.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%