Gumpaste Figurines - Help!

Decorating By BlackFlour Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm by raquel1

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a birthday cake for a friend's son this weekend, and is wanting Super Mario Brothers. She picked a very detailed cake to 'copy' for an idea, and it will be my first time to actually work with gumpaste. Does anyone have any suggestions or good recipes that will help? Thanks!!!

5 replies
smallville187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smallville187 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 6

I have worked with several recipes of gumpaste and the best that I have found was the one my edna. The wilton pre-mix is ok if you don't want to go through the work but the one off the gum-tex can I was the most unsatisfied with. It could have been the heat though. I would suggest when making characters you make sure there are no cracks in the final body parts because it will look even worse when they dry and you try to paint them. hth

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 6

I've used either MMF or MFF mixed with Wilton gumpaste and it has worked geat for me. 1/3 gumpaste 2/3 fondant and it gives me more drying time than gumpaste alone for working with it, which I need specially with figurines. I hear that Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe is great and the recipe is on his website, I just bought tylose for making it but I haven't yet. hth

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 6

Oh I've just done a Mario cake for my son 2 weeks ago it's the blue cake with Mark 5 in my photos. I used gumpaste made from fondant with added CMC sugarcel - not sure what your equivalent is but i'm sure someone will chip in (tylose or gum trag but i'm not sure if you just add these or what the ratio would be)- i added about a teaspoon of cmc for every large fist size ball of fondant. If i were you i'd get cracking on this one coz he needs plenty of time to dry out and firm up so he doesn't topple over on your cake.

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I'll take all the suggestions I can get! I'm going to start making them tomorrow (making the fondant/gumpaste tonight) so they have 4 days to set! icon_smile.gif I hope that's enough time!!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 6

That should be plenty of time, post pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%