Fbct Question

Decorating By carmenid Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 1:28am by FullMoonRanch

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #1 of 12

I found a couple of tutorials online on how to do FBCT's, one says to freeze and use within 90 minutes and the other says that you can do the transfer in advance. What do you suggest I do? I do not want it to bleed over the cake when it thaws.

I have to do a fairly large transfer for a cake due this Friday, can I do it today or should I wait till the last possible minute to do it? Please let me know and thanks in advance for your input! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
carmenid Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 12

anyone?

Maureen1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maureen1954 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 12

I have done many FBCTs and I have done them way in advance. I wouldn't worry about using it within 90 minutes.

Maureen

carmenid Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 12

and they never bleed into the cakes?

JessJackson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessJackson Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 12

I've never had that problem either. Once, I had a FBCT in the freezer for three days, put it on a white cake, and it was just fine! Good luck!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 12

I also do alot of them, they never bleed. They do sweat but just let it sit and the water evaporates. I have left mine in the freeezer for a week. Especially the larger ones do in advance to make sure it freezes good.

carmenid Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly4481

I also do alot of them, they never bleed. They do sweat but just let it sit and the water evaporates. I have left mine in the freeezer for a week. Especially the larger ones do in advance to make sure it freezes good.

Good to know. I love your transfers. Do you spread the buttercream into the transfer or do you pipe it???? it looks really smooth. I did this fbct a while back, my first and one try at frozen transfers and the icing looks all zig zaggy, any tips on how to avoid that?

Also, are chocolate transfers easier than fbct's? do you freese chocolate transfers?
LL

carmenid Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 12

How do you place it into the cake without breaking it? do you put a board underneath? I can't remember how I did mine, it's been THAT long. Thanks everyone!

carmenid Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 12

anyone?

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 12

When you print the picture for the FBCT, make sure to print it reversed/mirrored, so any wording will not be backwards.

I usually do mine in advance, but as long as its frozen enough, it shouldn't make a difference.
I pipe mine onto a sheet of parchment or waxed paper over the image, then to put it on the cake, I just flip it over onto the cake, and carefully pull back the paper.
It will sweat and cause condensation, but if you just let it set and dry naturally, it shouldn't bleed at all.

Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 12

I like to leave mine in the freezer at least 24 hours. smaller ones I can flip out with my hand. Larger ones, yes, I have them on a board and flip it with the board. But they're frozen, so they are really pretty easy to handle .... like flipping a frozen cake.

FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #12 of 12

How thick do you make it? (Sorry! Hijacking thread!) I've only done two. The first one should have been frozen longer but the second should have been in long enough. I had trouble with both breaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%