Options For Enhancing Box Cake Mix

Decorating By StefanieLRyan Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm by diamondsmom

StefanieLRyan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StefanieLRyan Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,
For cakes that I decorate for family and friends, I just use box cake mix for simplicity. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for enhancing box cake mix. I'm interested in substitutions, fillings, etc. that also wouldn't require the cake to be refridgerated if possible.
- Anyone ever add chopped candy, nuts, or cookies for in between layers?
- Anyone ever substitute milk for the water in a box cake recipe?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Stefanie
icon_smile.gif

4 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:58am
post #2 of 5

Here's the link to the some doctored up box mixes off cc: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

I've used milk instead of water on my white WASC. With the chocolate WASC, I used chocolate milk...yummy and very moist (kakeladi's recipe). I haven't tried all the other variations with flavors yet but can't wait...they all sound delicious.

As for fillings, there are a bunch of threads here on cc: search for both bettercream and buttercream. Both can be modified with different flavorings.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 5

I add a half box of instant pudding mix to the cake mix after preparing it according to directions. You can come up with some nice combos doing this like strawberry cake mix and cheesecake pudding. It makes the cake more dense, moist and flavorful.

I have mixed coconut into buttercream and used for a filler for a coconut cake and it was really yummy and smelled so good!

I have also mixed M&M's and crushed candy bars into chocolate icing for fillers.

I think the cookies would probably get soggy but I have never tried.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 5

i like the wasc, but i bake a lot of small cakes and don't really need that much batter all the time. i was wondering if i could just add flavored liquids to white cake mix instead of water and get more flavor that way....would it work?

diane

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

WASC all the way! any cake flavor works well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%