Advise - What To Buy 2" Or 3" Pans??? Pro & C

Decorating By Peridot Updated 6 Sep 2009 , 5:42am by heddahope

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 18

I have all two inch Wilton pans and I just purchased square 2 inch Magic Line pans. By the time I level my cakes they are less than 2 inches and I like a high cake. So did I make a mistake by ordering the two inch.

What do most of you use?

Thanks.

17 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 18

temporary fix:

collar the pan -- take parchment paper and cut strip 4" wide. put into pan so it goes completely around pan. grease it. fill as normal but all the way to the top of the pan (2") which would be the 2/3 full for a 3" cake. bake. cool. remove collar. turn out. (don't forget the heating core aka flower nail for me)

permanent fix: 3" pans (which can be collared to to get even higher cake)

3" allows for 2" tiers just by putting in less batter. best of both worlds.

oh -- and get magic line pans.

Peridot Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks Doug - will try the collar thing.

Does the parchment paper stay nice and straight after you fill it - I mean like does it hang towards the center of the pan or bow outwards as the cake bakes and then the part above the pan is all crooked?

Do you use 3 inch layers and then trim to 2 inch layers?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

temporary fix:

collar the pan -- take parchment paper and cut strip 4" wide. put into pan so it goes completely around pan. grease it. fill as normal but all the way to the top of the pan (2") which would be the 2/3 full for a 3" cake. bake. cool. remove collar. turn out. (don't forget the heating core aka flower nail for me)

permanent fix: 3" pans (which can be collared to to get even higher cake)

3" allows for 2" tiers just by putting in less batter. best of both worlds.

oh -- and get magic line pans.

I have never heard about the collar method. I'll definitely be using it from now on. I hate how I don't get 2 inches out of the cake. Thanks!

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 18

collar will bow out until batter in pan to keep bottom of collar of moving in.

for stiffer collar, fold parchment on itself (double thickness), I put fold at top.

when I bake 3" layers, than I trim only enough to flatten--- and put two 3" together for a very tall 6" tier.

I do only tort them once so still have 4 layers cake/3 layers filling, tho' there are some that will tort a 3" tier 2 times to get 6 & 5.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 18

i do this all the time...works great!

here's a link for anyone interested.

http://www.akiskitchen.ca/techniques/greasing_cake_pans/grease_pans_1.html

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 18

Whenever I use my 3" pan, even with a flower nail, I have a horrible problem with the baking. The edges bake far too early even when I used a reduced temp and I end up with a domed top and get a lot less out of the cake after leveling (mutilating) with my wilton leveler. Does the collar help with this "issue" as well?

diane Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 18

try the collar method and bake even strips! icon_wink.gif

Doug Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:02am
post #9 of 18

ditto to bake even strip

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #10 of 18

My course I instructor told me the bake even strips weren't worth it so I've never tried them. That being said, I trust my CCers more than her! If they're worth it, this is the perfect week to pick some up....40% off at Hobby Lobby on Wilton!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussiongrrl

My course I instructor told me the bake even strips weren't worth it so I've never tried them. That being said, I trust my CCers more than her! If they're worth it, this is the perfect week to pick some up....40% off at Hobby Lobby on Wilton!

You can use old towels cut up in strips to do the same thing. I use my bake even strips (as I already had them) but for larger pans that they don't fit around I use the towels.

diane Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussiongrrl

is this a wilton instructor?? icon_confused.gif
well...she's wrong...they work great! i've had mine for sooo long that they are turning brown. icon_lol.gif i have to pick up some more! icon_lol.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:35am
post #13 of 18

I agree the bake even strips work great! I also use the towel strips with good success. I usually bake around 325-330, with bake even strips. I fill the 2 inch pan about 2/3 full. I also torte each layer, and end up getting at least 4".

Peridot Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #14 of 18

Thank you to all who for your responses.

I want to add that I always use the baking strips by Wilton and love them. I am not going to mess with tearing up old towels. When I get baked batter on the strips I just wash them in the sink with dish washing liquid and hang to dry. I also use T-pins for fastening. Much better than the ones that come with them. Wilton now has more than the one size - there is a larger package that has extra long strips in. And I always use a flower nail.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:32pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:

Great idea. I'm so sick of using those bent straight pins that come with the bake even strips!

diane Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:

wow...and i've been poking myself with those crazy pins all these years. icon_redface.gif
thanks for the tip! icon_wink.gif

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 5:42am
post #18 of 18

hello, I just bought the magic line 3 in pans and just have a question. I made my sons baptism cake last sunday and the 8 in and 10 in took almost two hours to bake each, they didn't taste very dry but does this sound correct? About How long do you think? I didn't think it would take that long, temp was at 325. They rose perfectly to the top of the pan and almost perfectly level, and I did use a flower nail in the middle. Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW one of the charts that i looked at said 60-65 min, it took almost double that. TIA.

Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%