Refrigerate Questions?

Decorating By squeaky121603 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 3:22am by SweetArt

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 3

I have a luau cake for this weekend. I will be delivering it on Thursday as I am going out of town. Customer wants a pina colada cake, so my questions are:

1: If I use pineapple or canned coconut milk will this cake need to be refrigerated? It is a two tier cake so I'm not sure if customer has room in refrigerator.

2: I am covering both cakes in fondant with gumpaste decorations. So, if needs to be refrigerated how will refrigeration affect the fondant and gumpaste? Never done this before so I'm now sure about condensation problems.

I'm thinking I could just use flavorings and not use anything that will go bad.

Sorry, this was long but I trust all of my fellow cc pros.

Thanks,
Carol

2 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 3

bump! thumbs_up.gif

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 3

I have read on here that people have put fondant and gumpaste items on a frig without any problems, but I would not do it (again). I did it once and it was a disaster. The fondant began to melt in the refrigerator. It looked like someone had poured colored corn syrup all over the cake. Apparently my frig is a very moist environment, not a dry one. You have no way of knowing what her frig is like. Unless your cake has a perishable filling, it shouldn't need refrigeration anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%