Your Favorite Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking By memakim Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm by kello

memakim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
memakim Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering what your favorite chocolate cake recipe is ? I've been making the WASC but I'm not crazy about it in the chocolate. I'm not against makine from scratch, but I need a cake recipe for chocolate that is moist, and about to stand up to buttercream frosting and decorating. If you can help I would be very happy !!

Have a great day

Kim icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 11

My favorite choc. cake is WASC made with devil's food mix & sub all the water w/ coffee. Turns out very moist and dense. mmmmm everyone who tries it loves it.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 11

My absolute favorite is Double Chocolate Layer Cake from Epicurious.com. It is very moist, so I don't think I would use it for carving, but I have used it in tiered cakes without a problem.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 11

I've been looking for a new choc. cake recipe too. The wasc never seems to hold up well in humidity....it seems too moist and almost gooey. Cutting it, it seems to fall apart.

memakim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
memakim Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 11

I had problelms with the wasc this weekend making my birthday cake, it just fell apart, and I was not please with the taste.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 11

I use Hershey's chocolate cake recipe on the back of the cocoa container. I love it it's very moist. It is the only chocolate cake recipe I use because everyone loves it! icon_smile.gif

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 11

I have 2 that I love, one is from foodnetwork.com, their Chocolate Ganache Cake, I have used the cake with many different frostings, fondant, decorations, etc. It is very moist and I have stayed away from stacking or carving out of fear it wont survive. The other is The American Test Kitchens baking book, it's their Old-Fashioned Chocolate Layer Cake. This one is still moist, but firmer than the other and I have stacked with it. The recipe for this one is: (Makes 7 cups of batter)
1/4 c. (3/4 oz) cocoa powder
1-3/4 c. (8-3/4 oz) all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk (room temp)
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 c water
1-3/4 c (12-1/4oz) sugar
4 eggs, 2 egg yolks
12 tbsps butter (softened)

Oven 350. prepare pans. Wisk flour, baking soda & salt together. Separately wisk buttermilk & vanillla. Boil water and mix in cocoa powder, stir in unsweetened choc, then 1/2 c sugar, mix until smooth. In large bowl mix eggs on med-high and add remaining sugar & mix until thick & voluminous.(4-8 minutes) Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture. Add butter one piece at a time. Reduce mixer to low add flour alternating with buttermilk. Pour in pans bake 25-30min if using 2 -9" pans.
I hope this helps.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 11

I used the Dark Chocolate Cake recipe from here for the first time on the weekend and it was delicious. It was my first time making a scratch cake and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! Very dense and moist.

Jen

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

My absolute favorite is Double Chocolate Layer Cake from Epicurious.com. It is very moist, so I don't think I would use it for carving, but I have used it in tiered cakes without a problem.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

I 2nd this recipe!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 11

I haven't had any issues with the WASC choc. falling apart. I use Betty Crocker Dark Choc. mix. I also sub. coffee for the water, and 1/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder for 1/4 cup flour (when using 2 boxes mix). If you need it to be firmer, try a little less liquid and a few ounces of melted & cooled chocolate, that will make it firm enough to carve.

For a scratch recipe, I LOVE Dorie Greenspan's Devil's Food Cake, I make it with Shaffren Berger chocolate, so it's gets expensive, but yummmmm.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 11

Wow, they all sound so good!! I have several cakes to make over the next little while, and I hope to try these out. Thanks. I have new hope.....everyone wants chocolate in August!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%