Whipped Cream Madness...has This Happened To You?

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 8:21am by G_Cakes

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 7

I did a practice cake on Saturday for and up coming baby shower the following week.

I made a wasc with raspberry filling and whipped cream covering the cake with fresh raspberries on top.

the cake baked up perfectly, my raspberry filling came off without a hitch...but the whipped cream, well it all went down hill from there.

I bought a fresh carton of whipped cream put it in the mixer and set it off. a few minutes later when I looked at it I was shocked.

It looked like it had curdled. I checked the fresh date on the carton to be sure and it was good till August 26th.

I had the ac on in the house and when I smelled and tasted the whip cream it was fine.

I figured maybe I over mixed it or just got a bad batch so I went out and bought another carton.

Same thing only this time it seemed that the whipped cream was separating, it looked like cottage cheese on top but underneath it was a milky water. Again after tasting it it did not taste sour.

I wound up getting my money back for both cartons but am wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else? thanks for reading icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 7

wow --

you made home made butter!

the best kind!

----

didn't curdle or spoil

butter is cream with the living daylights knocked out of it.

have to whip the cream "just right!" -- too much and you have butter (said in that parkay commercial voice!)

---

hope you saved it -- it'll taste SO yummy on your toast in the morning

---

I do not recommend this method for making enough butter to make BC

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #3 of 7

If you beat cream for too long, it separates out into buttermilk and butter. Maybe that's what happened to you. When I make whipped cream, I put the bowl in the freezer for a few minutes before putting the cream in the bowl, and I use the whisk attachment instead of the paddle attachment. You can also make stabilized whipped cream by adding some gelatin (look up a recipe) and then it will last longer on your cake.

G_Cakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:53am
post #4 of 7

LOL Doug, wow I made butter! that sounds pretty nifty.

Unfortunately I did not save any of it but I think maybe I did over beat it as I walked away from it to unload the dishwasher...hmmm maybe 3-5 minutes?!

Will have to be more careful next time and not get myself distracted icon_smile.gif

Texas Rose I do the same thing with my KA bowls before I do anything with whipped cream.

Will have to look up that recipe.

Thanks for the help and the heads up cause it was driving me crazy trying to figure why it looked curdled but tasted and smelled fine LOL.

Butter, lol cant believe I made butter...(parkay voice)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:18am
post #5 of 7

This is the one I use: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1830,159172-255195,00.html but for the step where you heat it on the stove, I put it in a glass cup and microwave it instead.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #6 of 7

In a KA it takes like 2 minutes to whip it

G_Cakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 8:21am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the link Texas Rose icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%