Newbie Re: Topsy Turvy Sps Wisdom Needed! :)

Decorating By tatechloeandlucysmom Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm by tatechloeandlucysmom

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 3

HI! My daughter Lucy is turning 1 soon and I want to do a 3 tier topsy turvy for her out of MMF. I've made 3 tier before, but the bottom was a styrofoam dummy I made, so, I don't really count it. icon_wink.gif lol... I have never made a true topsy turvy before either, but feel fairly confident.

Here are my questions:
The cake will need to move from my counter top, around 2 corners for a total of approx. 20 ft. do I need a support system?

I tried to go by the awesome tutorial with the Willy Wonka cake. Then I went to THE Hobby store and their Guardian Angel competitor's store... neither place had the recommended sps... or I overlooked it, which would not be impossible. Where else do I look? All I see out there are the plastic pillar things you use to elevate wedding cakes. There was a package of 4 "plastic dowels" that looked like slick white tubes of plastic, but there was no platter to set another tier on. Can I use the tubes and then use a plain cakeboard inside for the next tier? ANY WISDOM???

I don't get what the carpet tape sticks to??? What???

Also, if I make some little duckie or something out of mmf or gumpaste, will it harden? I have a duckie who is losing his shape. How do I glue his head, wings, etc on?

LASTLY, I saw a great tutorial on YouTube on making a fondant bow. He said to wrap it around cotton. I tried this and needless to say, although the outside looked pretty good, there was cotton stuck on the inside. Ick!

I greatly appreaciate this site, everyone's kindness and wisdom! I'm so excited! THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!
Hugs, Laura

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 3

I'll take the SPS question.

SPS is NOT a generic term. Its the name of a specific support system made by BakeryCrafts. You have to purchase the entire system - SPS plates and SPS pillars. It can be purchased online at Global Sugar Arts or Oasis Supply. Very few cake supply stores carry it, and I'd doubt that you could ever find it in a craft store.

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 3

Leahs: Thank you so much for replying. I went back and scoured... and realized that I was using it as a generic term when I shouldn't -after I had posted. My apologies. Well, in the future I will know how and where to get that, THANK YOU! I appreciate the time and the answer. icon_smile.gif -L

Quote by @%username% on %date%