Oh No - What To Do? Sps

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 11:56am by Deb_

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 9

I just measured my pillars in the SPS bags I got at the cake supply store. The store did not have options of lengths just these bags and you buy the bag.

Just measured the pillars and they are 5 inches. I really don't want to cut them.

How much space does the icing take up? My cakes are 2" each so if I ice them do I now have 5".

First time using SPS. Sorry for all the questions.

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 9

Interesting. The 5" pillars only come in the multi-piece set. Those are mostly for cakes with separations. To use them for a regular stacked cake, with normal 4" tiers, I'm afraid you'll need to cut them. You'll need a chop saw or a miter box that you can do straight cut with. It's not terribly difficult, but the pillars are designed to be quite sturdy, so you definitely will need either a hand saw or a power saw.

The legs come in the standard 4" length. Also, as you've discovered they come as a multi-piece set with a 5" leg, plus 2, 2" extensions so that you can use legs that are 5", 7" or 9". Sometimes that's handy. Then the legs also come as a 1 piece 9" length. All are packaged a dozen legs to a bag - enough for a four tier cake.

Echooo3 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 9

It was the multi set. So there are (4) 5" pillars and (icon_cool.gif 2" extensions. Can I just put two of the extensions together and use them as the pillars?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure what you bought. It sounds like it was repackaged by the store. In a few minutes you're gong to notice that the 2" extensions don't fit into the plate - they only fit into the legs.

So, no you can't just use the extensions. You really have to cut the legs.

SPS is designed with different parts for fairly specific applications. It is best to purchase the specific parts needed for the specific design of your cake.

Echooo3 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 9

Shoot.

Once again leahs, you are right!! I just went over to the table to put the extension on the plate -- it doesn't fit - uggg.

Is one inch of icing a problem? LOL

Thanks. I really want to get so good at this.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 9

If your layers are each 2", you could torte them both and have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling, plus your icing on top, would give you pretty darn close to a 5" layer.

In fact most of my cakes end up being 5" because I hate to cut off and discard cake.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 9:35am
post #7 of 9

What?? Discard cake?? Whoever heard the like??

I eat all trimmings and mistakes! And I have the ample figure to prove it!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 10:44am
post #8 of 9

I would do exactly as dkelly said. Torte your layers and build the cake to be 5" tall.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:56am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

What?? Discard cake?? Whoever heard the like??

I eat all trimmings and mistakes! And I have the ample figure to prove it!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Don't we all!!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%