Corn Syrup And Mmf

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm by imamommy1205

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 8

I have a recipe for chocolate MMF and it says to add a little corn syrup for elasticity. I made it with the recommended amount of corn syrup and it wasnt elastic as all. Thankfully I only needed to cover a small area (I used it to make black) and the cracks I got were easily covered up and barely noticed (plus, this was just a cake for my step son, not for a customer). When I made it I was didnt want to add more corn syrup and mess it up, but next time I make it, should I try adding more corn syrup? Would that help make it more pliable? Also, when I make regular MMF, can I add corn syrup to it as well. Sometimes I have trouble with its elasticity as well.

TIA!

7 replies
catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 8

"when I make regular MMF, can I add corn syrup to it as well. Sometimes I have trouble with its elasticity as well."

Everytime I make my MMF I always add corn syrup to the batch right before I put in the Microwave to melt the Marshmallows. It help treminously with pliability.

imamommy1205 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 8

How much do you add?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 8

I had the opposite thing happen, it was too stretchy, like caramel, I don't think I added enough powdered sugar.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8

I'm glad I checked this topic....my MMF is often not pliable, but I've never added corn syrup. I'll try it today.
I found when making black MMF, nothing I did make it stretchy. It just kept cracking. Did you use the recipe with chocolate chips? That's what I did. I hated it!!

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 8

Whenever my MMF becomes too stiff, I nuke it for a few seconds and it's right as rain. I've never added corn syrup though.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 8

I have figured out a few tricks with MMF -

1. NEVER use generic powdered sugars...they usually use beet sugar and not cane sugar. I have totally noticed a difference in my MMF - once I bought the generic and it made my MMF very tough and it tore more easily and dried out quicker. So, always spend more and get the C&H pure cane sugar!!!

2. DON'T overcook the marshmallows!! This has happened to me the last two times I've made MMF. I have two little kids and got distracted and cooked the marshmallows (during the melting phase) till they started bubbling - almost like they were cooking. The MMF again was tougher, more dried out feeling and less elastic no matter how much corn syrup I added. This last batch I melted the marshmallows more slowly and it turned out beautifully!!!!!! So, melt them slowly...30 sec at the most and then stir stir stir...then 30 sec and stir stir stir!!!

If you follow these two things you should have great feeling and very pliable MMF!!!

imamommy1205 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 8

Averagemom: I used the recipe for chocolate MMF with cocoa powder. Wasnt as dark as the kind made with melted chocolate. It cracked pretty bad too. The only reason it worked out was bc of the small space I was covering (the game on the XBox cake in my photos). Then I ended up making black BC to fill in the 3 cracks and it was a slightly a different color, so I painted the whole thing with black BC lol. It worked out better than I thought it would.

Thank you all for the tips everybody!! I will definitely be doing these things this week with the groom's cake I am making!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%