To Sift Or Not To Sift??

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm by Carolynlovescake

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 20

For those of you who make powdered sugar based buttercream icings, do you sift your powdered sugar or not?

I always have, but I get so tired of doing it.

19 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 20

I would say yes, I sift about 95% of the time. I think it makes a nice difference. However, this week, I was bad with my time management and just threw the sugar in the bowl w/o sifting. I'm not sure I can say that I saw a difference .... but I'll probably continue to sift.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #3 of 20

I sift most of the time......'cept when I'm being lazy icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't really notice the difference when I don't sift either....hmmm, I may be "lazy" more often. icon_biggrin.gif

mccakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccakegal Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 20

I run a wisk through it a couple of times unless my powdered sugar has been sitting on my shelf forever (or it's really humid). Martha Stewart did it one day, and if its good enough for Martha....

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 20

I always sift.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #6 of 20

I almost always sift my powdered sugar. Nothing worse than piping through a small tip and being getting up with a clump.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #7 of 20

I always sift.

Over the years I found a piece of plastic, a screw and a piece of unidentifiable metal in my BC while piping.

Thankfully I've never found half a bug or a piece of one... I'd definately gag or worse.

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 4:43am
post #8 of 20

I sift all the time.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:08am
post #9 of 20

I sift. I tried not sifting (like Sharon "Sugarshack" in her buttercream DVD) and I had lumps. It was C&H - the good stuff . I've tried it a couple of times and get lumps in my tip or in my BC as I'm icing. I hate taking that extra time to sift but I hate the lumps even worse so I always sift now.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 6:33am
post #10 of 20

I didn't but now I do all the time (had issues with lumps a couple of times).

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 9:34am
post #11 of 20

I sift. Everything. It is almost tropical rain forest here in Kentucky, so everything gets a run through the sifter to break up the lumps.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 20

I do, the times I havent bc I didnt feel like it I have noticd lumps.

MarlaQuack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarlaQuack Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 20

I used to always, always, always sift at least once until last month when I started teaching Wilton Method of decorating. When I watched the video and saw that I did not have to sift I stopped. I've noticed no change in consistency or lumpiness.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #14 of 20

I always sifted, but since I started using 4# bags of Dominos, I stopped. (I don't do a lot of fine piping) However, I do sift if i have to buy the 1# boxes; they are always lumpy. I ALWAYS sift cake mixes though.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:38am
post #15 of 20

I used to be one of those "Not siftin', nuh-uh, not ever" kind of people. One of the reasons I hate it is because those little triple-screen sifters take forever.

So, I recently got a nice, big, sturdy, single-screen, vintage Foley sifter from eBay, just like my mom's that I used while growing up. Actually, I can't wait to use it!

icon_biggrin.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #16 of 20

I sift everything!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:37am
post #17 of 20

Nope and mine comes out smooth as silk. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:48am
post #18 of 20

I never sift! I mean I used to and I could never tell a difference, so I decided it wasn't worth my time. Or the mess. =o)

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #19 of 20

I sift, but I cheat. I actually hate the mess sifters make so I stick my sugar in my food processor, cover it with a damp towel and give it a few whirls. icon_lol.gif Silky smooth sugar and only need to rinse the bowl!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #20 of 20

For those of you hating to sift you do know that Amazon sells a battery operated sifter.

Super fast, cool cake toy, and right around $20.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%