Freezing Cakes

Decorating By mmurphy Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm by AngieD300

mmurphy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmurphy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 16

Hi I'm new to cake making and was wondering if you recommend freezing cakes, if so how far in advance can they be frozen and how long does it take to defrost. Thanks Marie icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 6:32am
post #2 of 16

I bake my cakes up to a week in advance and them freeze them. They always taste fresh. I usually take them out to defrost in the morning and decorate them at night, about 4-5 hours or less. HTH

mmurphy Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 16

Thank You so much for your input I will try that. It is so hard to try to bake and decorate at the same time. Thanks again,
Marie

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 16

I am the same way you are! I have no idea about the freezing part of the cakes!! I have talked to several people that say that they freeze them ahead of time but I am too scared to try it and have it turn out nasty for my customers! I make them fresh the night of or the night before the order is due and frost them right away and it is very stressful sometimes!! So maybe I will give this a try to and see!!! Good Luck!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 16

Some people freeze for months, I prefer to freeze the layers for less than a week.

It takes less than an hour for my cakes to defrost in room temperature.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 16

If you wrap the cake very well you shouldn't have a problem.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 16

I freeze all my cakes, mostly for convenience...I like to get it done and out of the way so I can focus on making the icings and the decorating. I usually freeze about a week in advance but think up to 2 weeks would be fine.

mmurphy Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #8 of 16

Thanks again for all of the tips. I will try after this week. When I do a cake for my family since they are my guinea pigs. (even my 16 yr old son is getting tired of trying new recipies so I need to give them a break) freezing for a week will help. Thanks again. marie

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 5:44am
post #9 of 16

Here is the link to my tip for the most moist cake you can produce...

It requires freezing.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610054-.html

mmurphy Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you so much for the info I can't wait to try it!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

AngieD300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieD300 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #11 of 16

Hello...i'm new to this to & was just wondering if freezing is necessary if you have the time to bake/decorate in the same day. ive made two cakes this past weekend, each one in one day. Now, i made a cake tonight, but didn't have time to decorate. i was told to at least put a crumb coat & then freeze. Is this ok or would leaving the cake in the fridge be ok? I won't be able to decorate till tomorrow night. i hope the cakes don't ruin. Thanks for any help!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:10am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieD300

Hello...i'm new to this to & was just wondering if freezing is necessary if you have the time to bake/decorate in the same day. ive made two cakes this past weekend, each one in one day. Now, i made a cake tonight, but didn't have time to decorate. i was told to at least put a crumb coat & then freeze. Is this ok or would leaving the cake in the fridge be ok? I won't be able to decorate till tomorrow night. i hope the cakes don't ruin. Thanks for any help!!

There's no need to freeze if you baked today and are going to decorate tomorrow. In fact if there is nothing perishable in the cake filling/icing then you don't need to refrigerate it either. A lot of folks freeze cakes because of time restraints, some because they find it makes the cakes more moist.
You don't have to freeze. Sometimes I bake/fill day 1, ice day 2 and then decorate/serve the following day (so 2 days after I baked the cake) with no freezing (some even do it this over 3 days) but I haven't needed that much time yet.

Welcome to cc btw!

Here's a link to CC's commonly used acronyms that might come in handy:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

AngieD300 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:08am
post #13 of 16

[quote="xstitcher"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieD300

Thank you very much!! You said that sometimes you'll bake/fill day 1, then decorate day 2...do you keep the cake out or in the fridge till you decorate on day 2? Just want to make sure that my cake doesnt dry out. So, i guess i need to take my cakes out of the freezer since i'll be decorating today. Again, i really appreciate the advice...i'm just starting to bake/decorate cakes & i LOVE it!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:57am
post #14 of 16

Thank you very much!! You said that sometimes you'll bake/fill day 1, then decorate day 2...do you keep the cake out or in the fridge till you decorate on day 2? Just want to make sure that my cake doesnt dry out. So, i guess i need to take my cakes out of the freezer since i'll be decorating today. Again, i really appreciate the advice...i'm just starting to bake/decorate cakes & i LOVE it!!![/quote]

I wouldn't just put your layers alone in the fridge. That's what dries the cake out. Now if the whole cake is crumb coated and you have a perishable filling in the cake, I would put it in the fridge for an hour. And then take it out and decorate it...and then put it back in the fridge. The fondant will help keep the cake from drying out.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks Cakesdevine, I went back and read your post. My question is: if you turn your cake out of the pan, right out of the oven, what keeps the cake from splitting down the middle. This happend to me a couple of cakes ago and the advice I was given was, I took it out of the pan too soon. Any thoughts?

AngieD300 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Thank you very much!! You said that sometimes you'll bake/fill day 1, then decorate day 2...do you keep the cake out or in the fridge till you decorate on day 2? Just want to make sure that my cake doesnt dry out. So, i guess i need to take my cakes out of the freezer since i'll be decorating today. Again, i really appreciate the advice...i'm just starting to bake/decorate cakes & i LOVE it!!!

I wouldn't just put your layers alone in the fridge. That's what dries the cake out. Now if the whole cake is crumb coated and you have a perishable filling in the cake, I would put it in the fridge for an hour. And then take it out and decorate it...and then put it back in the fridge. The fondant will help keep the cake from drying out.[/quote]

Good to know...yeah, i just put a little bit of butter cream on top, then put it in the freezer over night. Then took it out about an hour ago. Its sitting on the counter now, so i hope i don't have issues later. We'll see. I guess i'll have to got throught the "trial & error"...also, living here in Florida, where it's 123 degrees really makes a difference. Thanks all for the advice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%