Licensed Kitchen In Rented Home?

Business By Adevag Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 2:41am by No-goodLazyBum

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get a kitchen licensed from a rented home? or do you have to own your own home?

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 9

Are you permitted to have a licensed kitchen in your home in your state? If so, the the next question would be is there special equipment needed (like a 3-compartment stainless steel sink, for example) that either your landlord would be willing to pay to install, or your landlord would ok you paying for it and for the install.

I'm no lawyer but I've also heard that any property attached to real property becomes a part of that real property, so if you pay for the sink and pay to install the sink, does the sink now belong to the property owner when you move? (I mean people rarely take their kitchen sink with them, when they move, right?)

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 9

Even if you don't need any special equipment, you still need to check with your landlord -- every place I've ever rented has a stipulation in the contract that tenants cannot operate a business from the home.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 9

I know of several towns where older homes were converted to commercial use. The renovated houses are cute and intended for business. They are in areas that were rezoned for commercial use, and often are for lease rather than for sale.

Are you thinking of a situation like that, or a neighborhood?

-Debbie B.

nikkilynn5769 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkilynn5769 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 9

Depends on where you live. In Florida its against the law to prepare food for public consuption in your home whether you own it or not.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 9

thanks for helping. I live in Virginia so it is allowed to get your home kitchen licensed. At the moment we rent (and I would not try to get this place licensed). I am just thinking long term and see what my options are. Of course, I would have to check with the landlord, if there is a possibility to get a license approved in a rental home. Yes, I have hear about the sink requirements. The best thing is probably to get all the papers with all the information. I just found out that VA is one of the states that allows home businesses so many doors suddenly opened for me (long term, I would still need LOTS of more experience...) Thanks again.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #7 of 9

In Virginia, every county has different procedures about the license part.
In Prince William county, you don't need a license if your profit is under 100,000 per year.
As for the kitchen inspection, you must have a double sink and once you have your inspection you will pay around $40 to keep your permit every year.
I just passed my inspection, but I haven't got the bill yet.
But I will think your Landlord would be the first one you would have to ask.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #8 of 9

Here, you cannot have a food biz in a rented residential space. sorry.. icon_wink.gif

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #9 of 9

I operate my business from a rented home in Virginia. All you needed was the landlords permission and I was able to get the business license. Once gotten, the inspection is a separate matter but you need business license in order to schedule one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%