High Altitude Baking Tips

Decorating By NastyNancy Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm by bisbqueenb

NastyNancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NastyNancy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 2

I am a new member here. I am a proficient baker at sea level, but will be making my godson's wedding cakes in Telluride CO (8700 ft). I am sending all the pans and many supplies ahead, and the nearest grocery stores of size are a 3 hour trip from the wedding site. I am trying to be as prepared as possible, as I will be baking in a new to me kitchen - don't know if it will be a gas or electric stove. I am making a white cake with french meringue buttercream for the brides cake - 3 squares stacked, and a dark chocolate chocolate ganache with chocolate merinque buttercream grooms cake. Is it better to use a boxed mix and doctor it for the altitude, or adapt a scratch recipe for the altitude? I have 2 1/2 days before the wedding. I am hoping for any tips or ideas you have to make this less stressful and help me produce a special cake for my beloved godson. THanks all!!!

1 reply
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 2

My biggest 'surprise' when I moved from about sea level to 5300 feet [ less than what you will have! ] was that I had to adjust the amount of batter I put in my pans [ less ] and If I used a box mix to follow the high altitude directions on the box! So perhaps you can run a small 'test' cake in the oven before you do all of the layers just to see how your recipe works at that altitude.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%