Hot Air Balloon?

Decorating By PaulineG Updated 17 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm by PaulineG

PaulineG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulineG Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 15

Hi There,

I have just been asked to make a hot air balloon cake for 29th August, and was hoping for some advice. I have never carved a cake before, as I have always been too scared to. I had a look online as well as here on CC for some ideas, and this is one of the best I have found:

http://www.thecakestore.co.uk/acatalog/Hot_Air_Baloon.html

Can anyone help me with how to do this? What size cake board, cakes etc? Also, how would I make the basket impression? I will be using fondant.
I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks
Pauline

14 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 15

start with tall stack (4 layers) for rectangular cake. (tort/fill as you like)

chill to firm up

cut away "what you don't need" -- just eye ball it -- or cut templates out of heavy cardstock paper and use as guide to get basic outline.

I'd do uncooked spaghetti for the ropes.

fondant impression mat or roller w/ basketweave pattern for the basket.

------------

if up for a 3D challenge, see these two threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-277643-balloon.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=359013&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=balloon&&start=0

PaulineG Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 15

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the advice. Not sure that I am up for the 3D challenge though, lol!

Does anyone else have any ideas about sizes?

Thanks
Pauline

Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 15

please tell us how many servings you need as that will affect recommendation as to sizes.

PaulineG Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 15

Of course, sorry thought I had mentioned that. It needs to feed 30-35 guests.

Pauline

Doug Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 15

well if you start with 12x12 squares (not sure the size rectangular pans you have) and make 4 layers and stack them 2 & 2 pushed together to get a 12x24 - 4" high layer -- you're starting with 72 - 2"x2" servings. Figure losing up to 1/2 half of that for carving the cake and you're down to 36.

not counting the basket.

for basket 6x6 split in half and stacked -- so that's 6 generous servings.

a total of 42 servings or there about depending upon how much you loose to carving.

----

another option -- bake a big rounded cake (metal or pyrex mixing bowl) for main body of balloon, than add extension of layer of cake split and stacked. match width of layer to diameter of round.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 15

I did one a while back and used a 1/4 sheet cake with a half ball pan for the balloon part and a half a cupcake for the basket. I know I have the pix in hard copy but I'll see if I can find a copy on my computer.

jdub253 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdub253 Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 15

can you use an easter egg pan for the balloon, and just cut some off the tip???

Just a thought. I have never made an easter egg cake or a hot air balloon.

good luck!

PaulineG Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 9:15am
post #9 of 15

Thanks for the info and tips, everyone. I'll post pics when complete.

Pauline

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 15

Okay now don't laugh, this is an ancient cake that I did many moons ago using a half ball pan for the balloon and a half a cupcake for the basket. It's one of the first cakes I ever did.
LL

PaulineG Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:08am
post #11 of 15

I think that is pretty good for one of your first, bobwonderbuns. I would never have attempted something like that with one of my first cakes.
I think I have managed to find a template that I can use. It was a template I found for a box of popcorn type cake. It's hard to imagine without actually seeing it, but I have modified the template for the balloon part of the cake. Fingers crossed that it works!

Pauline

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #12 of 15

That's actually a good idea for a hot air balloon cake bob! I have one coming up in a few wks & I'm wondering if I should try to make a balloon topper from styrofoam. This gives me another option depending on how much they're willing to pay.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #13 of 15

duplicate

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulineG

I think that is pretty good for one of your first, bobwonderbuns. I would never have attempted something like that with one of my first cakes.
I think I have managed to find a template that I can use. It was a template I found for a box of popcorn type cake. It's hard to imagine without actually seeing it, but I have modified the template for the balloon part of the cake. Fingers crossed that it works!

Pauline

I did a popcorn bag cake (in my pix) not long ago. It's really easy, just a gift bag style cake without a handle but with added stripes. You can use that for a template if you like! icon_biggrin.gif

As for my hot air balloon cake I still shudder when I see those clouds! icon_confused.gif But overall it really wasn't too bad considering my abilities at the time. And my neighbor (who got me into cake decorating) helped me with the balloon part too so I have her to thank also. thumbs_up.gif

PaulineG Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #15 of 15

Let me know how yours goes, lecrn. Mine is due on 29th August, and I'm quite nervous about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%