Cinderella Carriage Cake Help!

Decorating By Amy33 Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 1:47am by Misdawn

Amy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy33 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 5

I am attempting a cinderella carriage cake tomorrow for my daughters birthday..i'm new to cake decorating and would appreciate any tips or advice..i've never made a ball cake before...i have a wilton ball pan. And was planning on covering in mmf. I made my mmf tonight and it turned out great. How difficult will it be to cover the cake in fondant? How can i make the impressions like a pumpkin...i'm also nervous about attachign things to it..will water be enought to hold decorations on?

4 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 5

I've never made a ball cake, but the mmf should be easy enough to cover it with--just remember that if it starts sliding and tearing and you get frustrated, pop it in the fridge and WALK AWAY for fifteen minutes. That's MY biggest problem with it! (I've got very warm hands, you see.) As for making the impressions of lines, while the fondant is still freshly on the cake, take a toothpick or the back of a butter knife to make them, it's VERY easy to do at that point. With the attaching things, from all I've understood, yes, the water will be enough to attack things. You might have to hold it in place for a moment, but it melts sugar together, so it's more like welding than gluing!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 5

Covering it won't be easy. (Sorry.) You must be patient, and at the first sign of frustration, WALK AWAY. I covered my football helmet cake in fondant (you can see in my photos) and it took me many attempts and phone calls to my cake instructor/ friend. It can be done, just be patient and expect delays and multiple attempts. Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #4 of 5

I have the Debbie Brown book where she makes Cinderella's carriage. In her instructions, she puts an extra strip of fondant around the middle, a little more towards the top, to make more of a pumpkin shape than just a ball. Once the cake is covered with fondant, she uses a knife to make the lines like a pumpkin and then rubs them a bit with her finger to soften them.

I haven't tried it yet icon_biggrin.gif My daughters want the impossible instead of the merely complex and difficult icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 1:47am
post #5 of 5

So how did it go?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%