Wedding Reception Vendor Question

Lounge By HerBoudoir Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm by HerBoudoir

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #1 of 8

Soooo the bf and I booked our wedding for October 2010 icon_smile.gif We'll be getting married in the Valley Forge, PA area.

We have the reception location and the chapel set to go - deposits are getting dropped off this weekend.

Am I right in thinking it's fine to leave off deciding things like florist, photographer, dj/music for a couple months? I am finishing my last semester of school this fall, and frankly I just won't want to deal with all that good stuff until Jan/Feb/March of next year.

7 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 8

Not sure about the other vendors, but I'd at least go to the florists in October. You'll be able to see first-hand the quality and selection of flowers that will be available to you in your chosen month of October. I'd rather see them seasonally and in-person, rather than as photos in her portfolio. (Come the winter months, she may not have the ones you'd like.)

All around though, I'd suggest booking the earlier the better. The good vendors book up early and oftentimes close the dates off because they have plenty of orders for those wedding dates. (When January hits, I'm booking like crazy due to all the Christmas engagements that start to make inquiries for services in the New Year.) thumbs_up.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:29am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Not sure about the other vendors, but I'd at least go to the florists in October. You'll be able to see first-hand the quality and selection of flowers that will be available to you in your chosen month of October.

That's excellent advice. I would never have thought of that.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 8

I planned our wedding from across the country in 4 months (and no I wasn't pregnant! icon_razz.gif ). I never met my cake lady in person, or my florist, everything was done entirely through email. Please, for the Love, give yourself as much time as you can! Somehow God was completely on my side that we were able to get it all accomplished, but there's SO MUCH TO DO and if you can at least get the major stuff done and taken care of, you'll be able to enjoy the process instead of being consumed by it.

HerBoudoir Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 8

Unfortunately from September through December, I will be in MD finishing up my last semester of college and job hunting like crazy for after-graduation. Vendors & wedding planning will just about be the LAST thing on my mind icon_smile.gif

I'm going to do what I can over the next 2-3 weeks to at least get an idea of what I want - I'm not someone who spent years dreaming about a wedding, so I'm really starting from scratch. I can probably shoot off some emails to potential vendors to get some ideas about packages and pricing, but I don't think that I'll be able to meet with them or put deposits down as yet.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 8

I will just add that June is no longer the #1 wedding month ..... October is. You are now competing with every other bride who ALSO wants those vendors. If your date is the infamous 10-10-10, you better book all you can now, even if you just give them the deposit to secure your date and work out details a few months from now.

I already have 2 weddings (including catering) booked for 10-10-10 and I'm starting to turn down brides for this date. Already.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 8

I've been booked up for 10-10-10 for months. It was the first date in 2010 to fill up, and I still get calls for it. Almost as bad as 7-7-7 was!

HerBoudoir Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 8

LOL I can imagine!

Ours will be 10-16-10.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%