My Ribbon Trick

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm by michellesArt

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 23

so I think most of us have had a cake with ribbon lately. I did a few before it occurred to me that they had to cut through the ribbon, or take it off for their pictures.

so I had this "well, duh" moment. I decided that I would cut the ribbon the bottom tier just short and then add a secret panel for them to remove for their cutting. Here are some photos of what I mean.
LL
LL

22 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 23

Cool idea, Thanks.

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 23

that is a great tip you just saved me from having my own duh moment

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 23

That's a good idea Jill! Thanks for sharing!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 23

That is a good idea.

How are you attaching the ribbon to the cake, and then the ribbon to the ribbon?

-Debbie B.

jillmakescakes Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 23

I usually use a very tiny dab of buttercream to attach the ribbon to the cake and then another super small dab to attach the ribbon to ribbon.

I also iron wax paper onto my ribbon to help prevent bleeding. I actually use a hair straightener as my iron. Its easier than a real iron and takes up less space!

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 1:43am
post #7 of 23

Thanks for sharing.
I have a question, this wax paper, is it regular wax paper or a special one.

Also if it is fondant, Do you still use the wax paper?

A third question, if the ribbon is a wired ribbon, do you see this as a problem, or do you think it should be better if I try to take the wire out of it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
I have my real first ribbon wedding cake in a week, and have this little issues.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:33am
post #8 of 23

Oh, very cool. Nice idea!

jillmakescakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:36am
post #9 of 23

its just regular wax paper, i don't do this if the cake is covered in fondant and I haven't used wired ribbon before, but I can't think it would make a huge difference, but it might get a little hot.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 23

Great idea!

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 23

I affix the ribbon by just lightly pressing it into the buttercream. It stays just fine. When I get to where the 2 ends meet, I fold over the end of the ribbon about a half inch for a neat rounded edge..Then I press two corsage pins into the ribbon and it really looks pretty. When the bride and groom got to cut the cake, they just pull out the pins and pull the ribbon back slightly to cut.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 23

love the wax paper idea- I usually cut freezer paper to fit the ribbon and adhere that first, but there is always a chance of it slipping- having attached wax paper backing in genius!

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I usually use a very tiny dab of buttercream to attach the ribbon to the cake and then another super small dab to attach the ribbon to ribbon.

I also iron wax paper onto my ribbon to help prevent bleeding. I actually use a hair straightener as my iron. Its easier than a real iron and takes up less space!

Awesome idea to use the hair straightener thumbs_up.gif
I tried it with a regular iron once and got frustrated and just did without, but the ribbon was already a dark color. I have a cake w/pale yellow ribbon to do for this weekend and have been stressing out about it absorbing the moisture.

I am going to use this trick!

Thanks!

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:13am
post #14 of 23

Tried the ribbon with wax paper idea today............wax paper did not stick to ribbon?

jillmakescakes Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #15 of 23

no, the wax paper isn't supposed to stick to the ribbon, the heat from the iron transfers the wax onto the ribbon.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #16 of 23

Just wanted to add my thanks to you for sharing these tips. I haven't made a cake with ribbon yet, but I've been wanting to try. This will save me a whole lot of angst and frustration! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:49am
post #17 of 23

Jillsmakescakes.....................
Now that was funny...real funny! LOL LOL icon_biggrin.gif
I did the ironing twice.....lifted up the cloth and it still wasn't attached icon_surprised.gif
It did change the texture of the ribbon though.....and now I know why.
Thanks for that info. icon_redface.gif

Deehrvy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deehrvy Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:34pm
post #18 of 23

Thank you for answering a question that I have always had about using ribbon....thanks again for sharing.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:01pm
post #19 of 23

I always wondered how to put a ribbon on the cake..wow..thank you, definitely I will try this...

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:16pm
post #20 of 23

I use Crisco to get the ribbon to stick.
Use a dab of crisco on your fingers and run it up and down both sides of the ribbon.....a thin film is all you need. It prevents any frosting from bleeding onto the ribbon and leaving grease spots. It also allows the ribbon to stick very well to the cake and itself.
Keep in mind that by doing this, it may make your ribbon a smidge bit darker.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug

I use Crisco to get the ribbon to stick.
Use a dab of crisco on your fingers and run it up and down both sides of the ribbon.....a thin film is all you need. It prevents any frosting from bleeding onto the ribbon and leaving grease spots. It also allows the ribbon to stick very well to the cake and itself.
Keep in mind that by doing this, it may make your ribbon a smidge bit darker.

Tug - thats the way I've done my ribbon cakes for years and it works great!!

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 1:31pm
post #22 of 23

I have used clear contact paper on the back of my ribbon before. It makes it nice and frim to be able to wrap around the cake layers and no bleeding from the buttercream.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #23 of 23

i used doublesided tape to make parchment paper stick but i think i'd like to try the wax/ironing method i had a light blue go dark navy and had to make fondant ribbon instead. not that i made much difference and i was able to closer match the colour she wanted but i had already paid for the ribbon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%