What Kind Of Buttercream Do You Use?

Decorating By morgnscakes Updated 19 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm by Cheyanne25

Lisa1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa1050 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #31 of 39

Hi everyone. I was just looking over WBH buttercream recipe which states 1 cup egg whites or about 12 large egg whites. I was making a smaller similar recipe which called for 6 egg whites and that is about 1 cup. Is this recipe correct or am I missing something? thanks

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 1:09am
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1050

Hi everyone. I was just looking over WBH buttercream recipe which states 1 cup egg whites or about 12 large egg whites. I was making a smaller similar recipe which called for 6 egg whites and that is about 1 cup. Is this recipe correct or am I missing something? thanks

According to the conversion chart found in the Cake Bible, and in Joy of baking, the weight of 1 large egg white is 30 grams. Volume is about 2Tbsp. As there are 16 tbsp per cup, you would need 8 large egg whites to make one cup.

But since even eggs of the same grade would have slight variations in weight or volume, the most accurate way of measuring egg whites would be by weight. The weight of 1 cup egg whites is 30 grams x 8 or 240 grams.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 7:13am
post #33 of 39

I use confetti books vanilla buttercream. iIm not sure what type it is I heat the egg whites and sugar together. She has lots of yummy variations as well.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:32am
post #34 of 39

I felt in love with Dyann's 1-2-3 SMBC months ago and I won't change it for anything

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 9:14am
post #35 of 39

I use the IMBC from the Cake bible. I make the large batch. It keeps in the frig very well, I add white chocolate for flavor, and also amareto.

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 10:04am
post #36 of 39

I use SugarShack's... I'm from the South, and it does seem to be the sort of icing that people here expect. I also like that it is so easy to make, not cooking or separating eggs, just whip it up and have at it!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:28am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

I felt in love with Dyann's 1-2-3 SMBC months ago and I won't change it for anything

Me too! My co-workers call it "magic frosting"

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 11:52am
post #38 of 39

For the most part, I make white chocolate IMBC with pasteurized, store-brand egg whites. I do not trust the hot syrup to pasteurize the eggs, and the store-brand whites work well for me.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #39 of 39

I use IMBC I personally couldn't even fathom eating American Buttercream (I hate the texture) and people who get my cakes have almost never had IMBC so it makes them stand out.

People love the 'special' icing and figure they have to order from me to get it lol. Plus if you sell somebody something as gourmet they'll decide they like it, if only because they figure they should like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%