Stencil Onto Buttercream

Decorating By ahmommy Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 2:23am by ahmommy

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 10

I've seen a few people who have done this. What do I do? My only thought is to refrigerate or even freeze the iced cake 1st.

Has anyone done it?? Is it hard to do??

9 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 10
ahmommy Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:18am
post #3 of 10

Thanks, that helps a lot. I think I will try it out for my mom's B-day cake

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 10

You definitely want to give your cake time to crust. Putting it in the refridgerator for 1/2 hr. is even better. The stenciling is pretty simple. I have done a couple. I use an icing that is a little thinner than what I used to ice the cake with. When I did it, it was tone on tone. So what I stenciled with was just a little deeper ivory than the iced cake. I held the stencil gently against the side of the cake and using a small palette knife I carefully iced over the stencil. Clean off the palette knife and go back over the stencil taking off any excess icing. Carefully peel the stencil away. Clean the stencil and move to the next area matching your pattern.

HTH.
Jean

ahmommy Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 10

Here is the finished result. It was super easy and I love it!!!!
LL

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 10

You did a great job. It looks perfect.

ahmommy Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 10

Now I just need to find bigger stencils so I can cover the entire side of the cake

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 10

Wow, that's gorgeous!!! Now, I need to find time to give it a try -- hope mine turns out 1/2 as great as yours! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, and one question: How did you hold the stencil up to the side of the cake as you smoothed on the buttercream? Is there a way to attach it so that your hands will be free?

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 10

do you have a tilting turntable or did you do that cake just flat on the counter? It seems it might be easier if it was at a tilt.

ahmommy Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #10 of 10

Not a tilting turntable, just had my husband hold it up for me. I don't know what I would have done without the 2nd person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%