Swiss Meringue Buttercream Help Please

Decorating By inspireddecorator Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 4:11pm by GI

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am making my first batch of SMB and realized that I bought salted butter. If I use this instead of unsalted, will it cause a problem or affect the taste of the icing.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide

Sandy

8 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #2 of 9

it will affect the taste.
i think you will be happier with the taste of the smbc if you can go back and get unsalted.

that said, there are people who use salted and like it icon_smile.gif.

diane

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 9

I like unsalted butter. I have never tried it with salted butter - it probably just depends on your taste buds.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 9

I use half salted, half unsalted. Keeps the taste balanced.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 9

makes it taste like eating a stick of butter... if your paula dean keep it otherwise (imo) it tastes disgusting

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 9

I've used salted butter also, so far everyone loves it, I am from the South.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 9

There's another discussion in the forum going on about Swiss Meringue Buttercream... whoever started called it:

MBC epiphany!!

but she was really making Swiss. You might want to look at that one.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 9

I use half salted butter and half Crisco. And I cut by 1/3 the total amount of fat in the recipe. Took me several tries to reach something I liked. You may need to experiment with this a bit.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 9

I use 1/2 salted, 1/2 unsalted (5 sticks total between the 2). And I "up" the sugar by 1/2-cup, just cuz I like it a bit sweeter. I use 1/3 c. total of ALL flavoring combined. If you use ALL salted, you'll have a really buttery flavor which could probably be used on pancakes, waffles, scones, etc....you get the idea. Otherwise, I'd really start over. You'll be much happier. And I've never put shortening in my SMBC just cuz the thought of eating shortening gags me, but that's just MOHO icon_smile.gif

If you have time, read thru this thread. It will really help you. And I've not gone back to regular powdered-sugar buttercream in a long, long time after perfecting Swiss Meringue. Everyone that has it just LOVES it as they are so used to BC.

HTH!

Swiss Meringue thread that is worth the read: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%