Ices 09---Feed Back

Decorating By dolcebaci Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 2:25am by tigerhawk83

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 9

This was my first ICES and I was WOWed for some of it and really disappointed at other things.
I took the sugarveil demo...what a waste of time.

8 replies
quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 9

I had a wonderful at the ICES demo. I learned so much from the demos, watching the vendors and looking at the different cakes at the gallery.

Some attendees complained about the hotel. I stayed with friends in Geneva.

I enjoyed visiting Downtown chicago and St. Charles.

The ICES staff and volunteers put on a great show considering every ICES organizer, staff, and volunteer don't get paid.

Well, it was positive experience. I am deaf and had no problem communicating with the teachers and vendor-they were patient. I did have an ASL interpreter with me though.

I look forward to attending San Diego.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 9

i always enjoy going to the convention. this was my 8th one.. been decorating for 13 years.. we can always learn a little more..i tell people.. i know a lot.. but i don,t know everything. took the wilton and french pastry school tour.. loved it. met a new friend . she was from california. i,m from north carolina. yes, the hotel was older than some.. but my friend and i had a nice room and plenty of bath water.. ha! some said they didn,t. we ate at the jambalaya restaurant several times. it was delicious.. learned more about blown and pulled sugar.. and always love to take jing"s chocolate demo.. he is great..

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 5:14am
post #4 of 9

I try to avoid demo's that look like vendor's that are just trying to sell things. I understand why they are doing it and if you are going to invest in a product, especially one that is costly it is great to see how to use it and what all you can use it for. So unless I am looking into that product then I will not go to them.

There were a couple that I found out after I was in them that the person doing the demo were also a vendor and were there to promote a one of their products, but both times the ladies were very funny and I ended up enjoying the demo. While I didnt' rush out to buy one of theirs product I don't regret doing the demo.

I think some demo's are hit or miss. There are some that I have seen that I would recommend any time. And there are a few that I really wanted to just get up and walk out on. But over all I have seen way more great and good demo's over boring or 'waste of time' demos.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 9

Hi Texas

I missed you at the convention. I just wanted to say again thanks for your recommendations. It has helped me so much.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #6 of 9

This was my first ICES - and I had a BALL! I volunteered at several demos that I couldn't get into (which was cool, I could get up close and see the stuff!) I cannot imagine the work that has to go into one of these conventions and all the coordinating that has to take place. KUDOS to those who had anything to do with it!!

I am just now getting home (we left for PIB right after I got home from ICES so I am just now catching up!)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 9

bundtdiva, I'm sorry I missed meeting you too! And you are welcome.

Cindy, thank you so much for making the name tags!! I'm glad you had a great time and jumped in with the volunteering!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:02am
post #8 of 9

Texas - you are as adorable in person as you are on here! I really lucked out with the volunteering. I got to talk to Norm Davis and Kim Morrison both for a long while (different times!) They were both so kind and generous - talked with me like they have known me for years! My room mate kept telling me there was a golden cloud that followed me everywhere I was! icon_wink.gif

You're very welcome for the name tags, I am saving mine for the next convention! icon_smile.gif

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:25am
post #9 of 9

I'm new to cake decorating and went to the convention on a shopper's pass - my family lives in that area and so I jumped at the opportunity. As an enthusiastic amateur - I loved the "Magnificient Mile" cake display. Couldn't believe the talent - particularly some of the kids. I also spent some time in the exhibits - bought some fondant and some cake stencils.

I'm taking my first decorating class right now, so going to the show was a lot of fun for me, even though I could not attend any of the sessions. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%