Where Do I Find That Wire I See Everyone Use

Decorating By Pistol Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm by Pistol

Pistol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pistol Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 4

I always see people use that "wire" for things like stars and such coming out of cakes. Where do I find that? Thanks.

3 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 4

I buy mine in the crafts section at Walmart...it's usually around the beads,etc. Keep in mind that you shouldn't stick the wire directly into a cake. I fill drinking straw pieces with melted chocolate and insert the wires into that. When the chocolate cools, the wires are stable, and then I stick the straw into the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 4

It's just floral wire, which you can buy at the craft store or the floral aisle at Walmart. It's not food safe though, so you can't insert the wires directly into the cake, and you should tell people not to eat the decorations once the wires are inserted.

There are different thicknesses called gauges. The higher the gauge, the thinner the wire. Thin wire is good for individual petals in a fancy flower, small decorations, or leaves.

When you insert the wires in the cake, put a straw, hollow coffee stir or hollow lollipop stick into the cake, trim it so it won't show, and put the wire in that. I've also heard of dipping the wire into candy coating and then inserting it into the cake.

Pistol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pistol Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%