Baking In Sc

Business By newbaker1357

newbaker1357 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker1357 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 1

I just talked to a lady at DHEC and she said that I could bake at home in my kitchen and sell to friends, relatives, and individuals and be considered a weekend baker. The cakes would have to be basic meaning no fillings, etc. I told her I needed to practice a lot before I started selling and that at first they would be very basic. As long as I did not advertise I would not need to have a business license, permit, or home inspection. She said that if I started selling to bakeries, started advertising, etc. then I would have to have a business license and a separate kitchen (like in the garage). She said that the website I could go to is www. scdhec.net, then go under health, and then go under food inspection. She was with food protection. I have not went to the site yet, I wanted to tell you all because I am excited now. Now off to the site.

I went to the site and it is scdhec.gov. I don't want anyone getting mad at me for saying that I don't have to have a license. I am only wanting to be able to make cakes for my friends and family right now for practice and I can't always buy the ingredients and pans so it would help to have them help me buy the stuff which would be like paying for a cake. That is why I wanted to make sure that I would not get into trouble for starting. Once I think I am good enough to actually start a business, you can be sure that I will find a kitchen (have a possibility in mind already) and get my license and whatever else I need to be totally legal. I just did not want to get into trouble for making a friend or relative a cake and them buy the pan or the ingredients and me get into trouble for an exchange of goods. I am not going out and asking strangers to let me sell them a cake or anything like that (yet, but hopefully in the future). I just wanted to make sure that if a friend of my sister's says she wants me to make a cake for her kid's bday then I will not get into trouble.

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%