Free Cakes For Kids

Lounge By MLand Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 4:17am by cs_confections

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #61 of 716

Congrats. on your blue ribbons, I am sure you will find those children soon to bake for. Is there any hotels, motels near you, I worked in the one near me, and I remember in the winter or rather most anytime, there are familes that break down on the road and they have to stay at the hotel/motel , and sometimes it is someones birthday. so maybe you let them know if that situation arises to call you. Or if a family is put out of their home because of water problems or a fire they stay at the nearest hotel/motels, and they just might have a birthday that now they can not make a cake. as soon as I get my application in , I am letting my hotel that I worked at know all about this. You never know when a traveler with children that has broken down will need a cake for a special occasion.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #62 of 716

Brenda, the motel idea is a good one. Someone around here is always loosing their home to a fire. I will persevere in my attempt to find these children.

Thanks,
Carol

Brenda0217 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #63 of 716

What about any churches, I know the one church near me has pre-school kids a few days a week, so maybe you can post something at the church, local fire companies and their clubs. Laundromats I think are always a good place to post stuff, I remember doing my laundry there years ago, and I was always reading the board that had stuff posted on them while folding wash, LOL....some pizza places have a board you can put stuff on it too. Just some ideas from the norm. As far as the older ones for birthdays, I was thinking of the homeless shelters, sometimes there is a family with kids there, maybe someone knows the ones that come in all the time, maybe they might have an idea when someones birthday is. or they can have like a sheet put up for them to sign with their name and birthday on it, and then you can look at and see who has one coming up. Now that one might be a long shot, but worth a try. The homeless ones need a cake too I would think, would be nice if nothing else. Hope some of these ideas help.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #64 of 716

I too live in Michigan and got involved with the Free Cakes for Kids program. Getting a hold of someone who works in a michigan "chapter" was USELESS. No one would get back with me.
All three people I have dealt with have been down south.

It took me quite some time just to get to talk to someone who was on the chair. I made great strides with that lady and then she unfortunatly had to leave the program. It was such a set back.

After several emails and phone calls just to get started I had finally gotten the info from them that I needed to start a chapter in my area. Business cards, supplies, everything.
Then the work began trying to find places/people to donate the cakes to.
FCFK never added my contact info to their site which did not help. No one wants to get involved with you when they cant legitimize who you are.

I eventually made one cake for a domestic violence shelter in my area, which was like pulling teeth, but everything is so secretive there (for obvious reasons) they really couldn't allow an "outsider" in.
Then I had numerous places tell me that its not the kind of "need" they need to fill. Free cakes for kids was not a priority even though they didn't need to do anything.

Here I was trying to do something good and getting NOWHERE. I just couldn't get people to bite. I had myself AND seven others willing to donate time and resources. I did all the ground work and it just got to the point where I felt like people were so suspicious of me helping that hearing "no" after "no" it became so discouraging and I've given up trying.

I see the need, I know its out there. I just don't get some people.

Brenda0217 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #65 of 716

Jewels710 sorry to hear that, how long have you been with this organization? I guess I should prepare myself for some "No's" to when I get started. I hope they send me some kind of guidelines to follow. I am hoping to start a chapter where I live, because everyone else is about two hours away, and I have never heard of this organization till I was reading about on this site a month or so ago. Just hang in there, those children will find there way to you somehow. I know you guys will be reminding me probably in a few weeks or months to come, LOL....hopefully I will remember to take my own advice.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #66 of 716

Here is the upside - from the mother of the girl I made a free cake for. She had originally posted on Craigslist looking for any used Hannah Montana items for her daughter (oldest of 6 kids) who was turning ten. They couldn't afford the party she had always promised her and hoped to at least have a gift to give her. I volunteered to make the cake (Karina's cake in my gallery). This is one of the many grateful emails that followed:

"I told my family about you doing her a special cake and it touched their hearth to know that someone that doesn't even know my daughter is doing something special for her that they decided to pitch in and they decided to help me trow her a mini surprise party...God made everything work so well...first I met you and from allot of e-mail that I received you were the only serious one, then my daughter gets to go to downtown Disney and that gives us time to get everything ready and last my family decided to help me....we are just having a salad the cake and some sodas...it's just gonna be like a family Reunion and all thanks to you...I know God has used you to be an inspiration for us....you should feel really happy and proud with yourself...I just want to tell you thank you and God Bless"

Now, this is an upside worth baking for! So far I've made two and both have been humble requests not asking for much just any kind of cake at all. As I said in an earlier post, you WILL have to weed through the opportunists and find someone truly deserving. Hence the suggestions to contact social services, foster homes, shelters, etc.

Brenda0217 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:08pm
post #67 of 716

Wonderful story, I hope I get some stories like that when I get started. I guess we will keep each other motivated and not give up in our quest. There are children and families that need us out there somewhere. And our paths will cross when it is time. When it is meant to be we will meet these families and children. I know we all will.

hanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hanacakes Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:15pm
post #68 of 716

wow. i emailed them today, got the application today, and became a volunteer today, hopefully there is a chapter out here in northern virginia area, i plan on putting the word out there to churches and such asap. hope to make someones day soon!!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #69 of 716

Gals who are struggling... I have oodles of things to say on it but I just looked at the clock and have to shower and dress for class and be out the door in 20 minutes. YIKES!

DARN YOU CAKE CENTRAL YET AGAIN FOR SUCKING MY AFTERNOON AWAY AND MAKING ME LOOSE TRACK OF TIME! icon_lol.gif

I'll head back here later tonight or this weekend as soon as I have time to sit down and type stuff out.

If you have specific questions shoot an e-mail off to me and I'll just do a Q/A on what I made work for me and my area.

Ok 18 minutes now... I so have to go so I'm not late to class. lol

Oh foo foo's!!!! I still have to pack and find certificates too!

ARGH!

*runs off laughing at myself*

Brenda0217 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:04pm
post #70 of 716

I was wondering is there an age limit for these kids? What age do we go up to? or is it left up to us? I was just wondering, I read on some ones site, forget whose it was, she said 18 and under. So I was just wondering what the age limit was, or between what ages do we make these cakes for?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #71 of 716

Thanks for sharing the info. I signed about about 2 weeks ago (the process took just a few days). I am the only member in my area and haven't yet received any requests. I'm able to donate maybe 1-2 cakes per month and had signed up hoping there was already a chapter in my area. Either way, I'd like to do what I can and am excited to get started.

How do you go about delivering the cakes? My DH is very nervous that it might mean I would have to go into less than safe neighborhoods (with my children in tow) to deliver. Have any of you been able to work with an organization (i.e. a church) and deliver to the organization's location?

I've also just called an left a message with the volunteer coorindator at the local Ronald McDonald house. Have any of you worked with them?

Brenda0217 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #72 of 716

I have heard from the one near where I live, they usually don't take cakes from other places, they do that themselves. That is the one near me, Hershey Pa one. I have not talked to them personally, just going by what a good friend told me, when I had that same idea about Ronald McDonald House. Not sure about other ones. I would think we would be safe to drive to deliver these cakes, since we would be working with organizations, and if not, I am sure the houses they live in would be in a respectable place. But would not hurt to find out about the area before delivery anyway, Good idea your husband had. If they describe a unsafe place, maybe some other place could be worked out to meet instead.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #73 of 716

If you are nervous about delivering to an unfamiliar neighborhood then offer to meet them in the lobby of their local police station. Expect, however, that many of them don't have cars and may not have the means to meet you or transport a cake.

Also, Google Maps has a satellite view option so you can enter their address and get an all around view of their house and the street they live on.

I'm delivering my car cake today! Can't wait to see that little boys face (and his mom's too)!

For those of you listed as volunteers who haven't had any requests and/or aren't part of a well established chapter with contacts you really do have to go find your families. Again, craigslist is a great place to start. I go to the "wanted" section and enter "birthday" for one search. Then I do "cake" as a separate search term. That brings up people who are generally seeking free or cheap items for a birthday party because times are hard and they are hurting. You can bet they don't have a cake lined up so I contact them about it. The "barter" section is also a good place to look. This is where I have found my two families. I'll be calling some foster homes and shelters soon.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #74 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

I requested an app yesterday but have not gotten any response. How long did it take for you all to get your?

I got my application the next day.

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #75 of 716

I've been a volunteer baker for this organization since last year. I contacted lots of women's shelter's in my area but no one seemed interested. Eventually I contacted a soup kitchen with a daycare center so now I make cupcakes once a month to celebrate birthdays.

My email address is on the freecakes website and the last two emails I got were from a woman who wanted an elaborate fondant covered two tier Strawberry Shortcake cake for the 30 people coming to the 5 year olds birthday party!! She got really snotty when I told her the cakes were supposed to be for genuinely needy people.

The second was for a child having a bowling party!! Excuse me but if you can afford $10 per kid for a bowling party you don't need a free cake from me!!

I'm not prepared to make cakes for scammers. I thought I'd be able to make cakes for kids who were genuinely needy but there's always someone out there trying to pull a fast one so it's not worth it to me.

Brenda0217 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #76 of 716

Good for you FairyPoppins, stand your ground, now I hope when my time comes, I can be as strong as you. I am sure we all will run into people like that, and you were right in saying it the way you did. Now, hopefully when I come across those kind of people I will have you in mind.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #77 of 716

I am in the process of starting a chapter in Pinellas County Florida. I do not have a website up yet but the email address is [email protected]. I am just in the process of setting it all up so it will be a week or more before I start handing out flyers but if anyone on here is in Pinellas county FL and is willing to bake cakes please send me an email.

Thanks

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #78 of 716

I'm so sorry to jump in without reading the entire thread but I'm super short on time. I saw the heading and I had to post. I'm in Canada and as far as I know we don't have any official free cakes for kids chapters. I was considering approaching the big brothers and big sisters organization. Has anyone done this or had any success aligning themselves with one specific organization? Thanks in advance!

mindy1204 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:55pm
post #79 of 716

I believe freecakesforkids.com had some Canadian sites listed...take a look at the website and look under volunteers.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:03am
post #80 of 716

I just took another look at their site and did find a few listings for Ky. and was surprised to discover one of them was me!I am just one of the many Karen's on this site,anyway they didn't send me any info. back making me aware of this,not that it's a bad thing,I just assumed they would have informed me about it and maybe given me tips and advice on getting started.Will they email me info.or do I just go ahead and get started on my own?

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:16am
post #81 of 716

They sent me an email confirming that I was approved and the latest newsletter. So maybe, you will get one soon. Congrads!!

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:34am
post #82 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

I've been a volunteer baker for this organization since last year. I contacted lots of women's shelter's in my area but no one seemed interested. Eventually I contacted a soup kitchen with a daycare center so now I make cupcakes once a month to celebrate birthdays.

My email address is on the freecakes website and the last two emails I got were from a woman who wanted an elaborate fondant covered two tier Strawberry Shortcake cake for the 30 people coming to the 5 year olds birthday party!! She got really snotty when I told her the cakes were supposed to be for genuinely needy people.

The second was for a child having a bowling party!! Excuse me but if you can afford $10 per kid for a bowling party you don't need a free cake from me!!

I'm not prepared to make cakes for scammers. I thought I'd be able to make cakes for kids who were genuinely needy but there's always someone out there trying to pull a fast one so it's not worth it to me.

This is what I would be worried about, you really can't trust anyone these days. Plus most people that need help can get assistance, like food stamps which would by an already made cake or allow someone to but the stuff to make one. I understand wanting to help children but I don't think I could do it unless I truthfully knew their situation, or it was for an orphanage or something.

mindy1204 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:25am
post #83 of 716

KOKOPUFF... send Mischell an email asking for additional information... she sent me all kinds of info yesterday. I got the newsletter, example of flyers, ex of receipts etc... She is very helpful...

Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:20pm
post #84 of 716

That is what I got too, an email and the updated newsletter, but nothing else. My computer was acting up so I couldn't email my application back, had to print it out and send it by mail, Toni sent me my application, but one of the other ones sent me my welcoming email, and I didn't hear anything else or received anything else. That is what I was wondering, some kind of guide lines to follow, because how do we "Really" know about these parents that call what their situation is? How would we know which ones are true in need of a cake and which ones aren't? And what age does this go up to for the children? I am sorry for all the questions but thought maybe someone that has been in this could answer some of them for me. and if not guess I will have to wait and hear back from them. Thank you.

allycatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycatt Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:45pm
post #85 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

This is exactly what I worried about. I signed up right after the article about Toni came out in People magazine. I thought it was a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to generate any interest either. I contacted a friend who worked for a shelter but she never followed up with me. I was afraid to send fliers to supermarkets and schools for the fear of being taken advantage of. A little bit ago I asked for my name to be removed from the list. Would have loved for it to work out. I only make cakes as a hobby, it was a good outlet, there is only so much cake the family can eat! icon_smile.gif

Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:49pm
post #86 of 716

I bake for hobby also, and was thinking the same thing, a good outlet, my boyfriend does not eat cake much, not even his favorite choc. , so I give some to the little neighbor girl who will soon be 5, and now I will be known to her as the lady that had the cakes when she grows up, she is always lookinig at my ideas and tasting them for me, LOL...and her family too, so I was thinking the same thing as you were allycatt.

mindy1204 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #87 of 716

I have already sent and email with an attached flyer to a pregnancy house. Teenager can live their with their babies up until they are 2 or 3 I believe. I found out about this thru a friend that has a girlscout troop that volunteers there. The girlscouts are also throwing a baby shower that I said I would make the shower cake.

I am also leary of being taken advantage of and I am being selective who I give flyers too. I will probably give them to the homeless shelter and we have a womens homeless shelter in town that will get them.

kokopuff Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:33pm
post #88 of 716

I have only recieved a welcoming email but wasn't really given any direction.How do I begin?If I go ask for donations how do I prove I'm legit?

Brenda0217 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #89 of 716

I wouldn't ask them for donations, I would let them ask me if they can make a donation and the same for anyone else. If it is brought up they would like to donate then you can let them know what is needed. I haven't recieved anything either, so I emailed one of the directors and asked them if I would be receivng any information since I would like to start a chapter in my area. The closest one is two hours away, and that won't do. I just asked them today about it, so I will have to wait till someone gets back to me. As far as donations go, and if they ask, tell them a cake pan of some sorts, a cake mix, flour , sugar, a gift card to Michaels or any other craft store that you would be able to use for your cakes, sprinkles anything that has to do with making your cakes. If they ask. That is how I would do that part of it, only if they asked me what can they do. But that is just my opinion. I wish there was more to go by on all this. The guide lines and stuff, up to what ages do we go on these kids, how do we really know that they can not afford a cake when they call us. Guess that is a question we will never know the answer to, untill we deliver the cake, I guess. If I get any more info. I will let you know. Hope someone can answer our questions till we get our information on all this. LOL...

kokopuff Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm
post #90 of 716

I guess I should I should have explained myself a little better.I work for a large grocery store chain that gives out donations on a daily basis,so of course I too am going to ask,which I already have and they agreed but if I ask somewhere else that doesn't know me or have never heard of this org.then what?It may not even come to that.I am just thinking along the lines of it being a huge thing in my area.a lot of lost jobs etc.etc.If it is more expense than I can handle but if it becomes a large thing for some of you don't hesitate to ask for help too,it's out there you just have to ask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%