Runny Strawberry Filling

Baking By luv2cook721 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm by luv2cook721

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 6

I made some strawberry filling for a cake I need to fill tomorrow. I used a recipe of basically strawberries, sugar and corn syrup. It seems far to loose to use as cake filling. I believe I have read that some people add gelatin to jelly for filling. Sounds like it might work here too, but how do I go about doing that? I wouldn't imagine I can just sprinkle dry jello into the filling and have it actually work. Do i need to dissolve it in boiling H2O? If so how much?

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 6

reheat filling and add the jello to that.

or...

reheat filling and stir in about 2 TBS of cornstarch that has been dissolved in equal amount of water. ...bring to boil, stirring all the while, to thicken. (can keep adding liquefied cornstarch bit by bit to get desired thickness -- but MUST stir continuously and must let it reach a boil to get full thickening power.

luv2cook721 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:11am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Doug.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:57am
post #4 of 6

Also don't forget to pipe a dam around your cake.

luv2cook721 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Also don't forget to pipe a dam around your cake.

Always, but the filling is about the consistency of syrup or honey, so I think it would still leak. It was my 1st attempt at a homemade fruit filling. The recipe I used was pretty vague on the directions, so I guess I either didn't use enough corn starch or didn't boil it long enough. I will try to fix it when I come home for lunch today.

luv2cook721 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 6

So, after sitting in the fridge overnight it seems much thicker, about like pudding. I plan to keep the cake chilled till my co-worker picks it up. Do you think it will be ok? I imagine it will thin a bit as it warms and tomorrow is supposed to be a hot one, but the party is supposed to be indoors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%