Sponging Technique On White Fondant Surface.

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm by Rylan

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #1 of 14

I'm hoping to construct a 3 tier cake, in graduated shades of pink (i.e the darkest pink on the bottom, and then the lightest pink on the top).

To save time, I'm thinking of 'sponging' the color on to the surface of each white fondant tier.

I'm unfamiliar with this technique. Do I just use straight gel color? Do I mix the gel color into a little BC frosting, then sponge it onto the fondant? These are probably silly questions, but I'm really clueless about this.

TIA for any help!

13 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #2 of 14

You could paint it with gel color thinned with vodka. For painting the whole cake, you'd want a big brush, maybe a basting brush with real bristles (not the silicone kind). For the lighter tiers, you'd just use a higher ratio of vodka to color. It would be less likely to fade than color mixed into fondant.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:31am
post #3 of 14

Why wouldn't you make three different color fondant and make each a darker shade? I am asking....because I don't know the answer icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 14

Can I use something other than Vodka? We are a no-alcohol household, so I would really prefer an alternative. Can I use clear Vanilla extract instead?

Madge~ I am just too lazy to make each color of fondant. I'm trying to save time by sponging the color on instead. icon_razz.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:43am
post #5 of 14

Vanilla extract has alcohol in it, same as vodka does...the only reason to use vodka is that it is cheaper, if you're doing a lot of painting. I bought a half gallon of vodka more than a year ago, and I have a 2oz bottle that I fill from it whenever I do a cake, and my big bottle of cheap vodka is still nearly full. I don't have to worry about anyone in the house drinking it because they won't drink anything that cheap icon_biggrin.gif

Don't use an extract that has propylene glycol instead of alcohol for painting. It doesn't work the same.

madgeowens Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:47am
post #6 of 14

ahhhhhhhh i see...thank you

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:06am
post #7 of 14

lol to the expensive taste icon_wink.gif

i have never heard of this sponging but am interested. i have painted on smaller areas with the vodka method and it works great since the high alcohol vodka dries so super fast, but for a large area, i would think making the colroed fondant would be easier and faster. if you try to paint it on that would be a pain in the arse, and if you try sponging that sounds like it would be tedious to get a uniform and smooth look. i have used this method painting walls before as it is a well known technique and it leaves a splotchy look. that is the whole purpose of that technique as far as wall painting so i picture it doing the same for fondant. i would also imagine the fondant would start getting a bit gooey and make it difficult to work with. if it DOES work though i would love to hear about it icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:12am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

lol to the expensive taste icon_wink.gif

if it DOES work though i would love to hear about it icon_smile.gif

I painted this whole cake with red over chocolate fondant to give it an Asian wood look (hopefully icon_razz.gif ) I didn't use a sponge though, just a basting brush. My basting brush is still red icon_biggrin.gif

The cake got sticky but it dried overnight.

madgeowens Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:21am
post #9 of 14

Oh wow that came out cool!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:26am
post #10 of 14

I think making the coloured fondant would be easier and nicer looking overall. You might end up with streaks in the cake otherwise, plus your going to have to wait for it to dry (it gets sticky when you paint it). If you add too much liquid it will give you more of a water colour effect as well.

When I make my own fondant MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant and it's delish with white chocolate added) I colour the fondant while making it and let the KA do the work.

If you colour the whole fondant one colour and then take out a 1/3 then colour the next 2/3 thirds some more and then finally the last 1/3 last I think it will still go faster and look better than painting. Just my opinion though.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:27am
post #11 of 14

I think it would take more time to sponge color the fondant than it would to color it.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:47am
post #12 of 14

that cake is awesome! def accomplished the asian wood effect. that's interesting you could paint red over chocolate fondant. i wouldn't have thought it'd work icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 14

Judi, I am Asian and it reminds me of Asian wood.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 14

Ooops pressed the submit button to fast, THAT CAKE IS AWESOME!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%