Will This Cake Serve 100 For Dessert?

Decorating By ashleyandlee Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 4:54am by xstitcher

ashleyandlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 12

I have made a handful of wedding cakes now (still kinda new at this), and all up until now have been put out at the midnight buffet. I haven't made them AS big as if they were served as dessert, as I have found at most weddings I've been to, hardly anybody eats the cake at the midnight buffet.

The cake I am making for this weekend is being served as dessert and has to serve around 100-110 people.

I've made triple layers of 6", 8", and 10" round cakes (they're about 6" high each), and a sheet cake made up of four 9x11 cakes (double stacked, side by side).

Is this enough cake to feed 100-110 people for dessert? When looking at it it seems like it may not be enough, and I'm wondering if I should add an extra double 9x13 on to the sheet cake.

What do you think?? I have time to make 2 more 9x13 cakes in the AM.

Thanks so much!!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 12

Looks like you currently have 168 servings.

6/8/10 = 78

I'm thinking that the way you have your sheet cake configured, it's 18 X 11. That will yield 90

ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Looks like you currently have 168 servings.

6/8/10 = 78

I'm thinking that the way you have your sheet cake configured, it's 18 X 11. That will yield 90

Thank you! So that gives me 258 total (including the sheet cake as is). It still doesn't look like quite enough (I'm paranoid, LOL). Two more 9x13's are fast and easy to whip up so I may make them, just to be safe. The bride was extra concerned about there "being enough cake" too - so that has put a bit more pressure on me. I think to be safe I'll just make more. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

It's good to know I am close though! Thank you very much for that breakdown! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 12

I don't know where you're getting 258. I see a total of 168. Seriously, stop baking. You've already got too much. How many servings did the bride pay for?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 12

What Leahs said!

For your sheet cake:
Two 9x11's side by side would make one cake that is 18x11. Wedding slices are generally cut 1"x2" (height is usually anywhere from 3"-6"). So the 2 sheet cakes placed side by side would give you a grand total of 99 slices.

18/2 = 9 * 11 = 99

For your tiered cake:
6" = 12
8" = 24
10" = 38

Total = 74

So as it is you have 173 servings (99 + 74). I think that is more than enough to feed 100-110 people.

Thought this might come in handy in the future:

Wilton Serving Guide:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 12
Quote:

I don't know where you're getting 258. I see a total of 168. Seriously, stop baking. You've already got too much. How many servings did the bride pay for?

I think she multiplied the sheet cake servings by 2, then added the tiered cake servings to that.

ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 12
Quote:

Woops, sorry, my adding was way off!

She only paid for what I've already made - if I make the two other 9x11's I'd be doing it free, basically. I'm just really paranoid about her running out of cake and it making me look bad. But I guess it's fine! Thanks!

ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:02am
post #8 of 12

Thank you xstitcher for that link! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyandlee

I'm just really paranoid about her running out of cake and it making me look bad.

If she runs out of cake, that's her bad, not yours.

If you get in the habit of making extra cake so you don't look bad, word will get out and people will be ordering 50 servings from you expecting you to make 200 so that you don't look bad, and you won't make any money at all.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:27am
post #10 of 12

If there's not enough cake, I don't think you'll end up looking bad. If she didn't order enough cake, its sort of her fault. It looks as though you have plenty right now, so hopefully its not an issue. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #11 of 12

Heres the thing about cake servings, you got to have a standard to go by. I go off of Wilton's Chart. The thing about cake servings is that you have no way to control how the cake gets cut. You can only give the bride a guide line. I do a 1x2x4 cut across like a sheet cake, not like a circle. Hope that makes sense. Oh yeah, DO NOT give away free cake.

xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #12 of 12

Here's Indydebi's link to "How to Cut a Wedding Cake" with pics. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

She also uses the Wilton Wedding Serving Guide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%