Different Types Of Fondant

Decorating By mkbennett Updated 8 Oct 2014 , 1:28pm by julia1812

mkbennett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkbennett Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 39

I will be doing my first wedding cake and my friend wants it covered with fondant, I have only ever made and used marshmellow fondant on the my past cakes. What is the best brand to use? In taste and quality. icon_smile.gif

38 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 39

Some people use Satin Ice and like it. I personally hate it.

How about you use Choco pan?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 39

I use Satin Ice to cover all my cakes. I love working with it, and have always had compliments on the taste. It comes in great pre-coloured hues as well as white and ivory.

mkbennett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkbennett Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 39

Thanks, I think that I am going to try Choco Pan for the cake. I am going to do a trial cake before the wedding to make sure I like how the Choco Pan looks.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 39

There is also Fondx. It tastes good and it is good to work with. It just a little bit more pricier than satin ice.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 39

You could always make your own (so much cheaper) that's not made from marshmallows. I made my first batch yesterday and it was so easy and so, so cheap. Just a thought! icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 39

I make a semi-homemade white chocolate fondant that is wonderful! NEVER any elephant skin cracks... performs like a dream. You can roll it super thin and it tastes great!

Jen icon_smile.gif

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:04am
post #8 of 39

EMCM and Jennifer, what recipes do you use?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #9 of 39

ThisNameInUse, I've PM'd you my recipe

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #10 of 39

Just got it!~

Thanks!

helen3743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #11 of 39

u can also always try Michelle Foster's fondant recipe. u can find it under "recipes" on this website.

i think it's a pretty yummy homemade alternative to MMF.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 39

I just used jennifermi's chocolate fondant Sunday and it was a dream to work with icon_smile.gif I liked it much better then satin ice and it was easier to work with then chocopan. Can't wait to see how my DH boss like the taste.

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 39

Hi Jen,

Your recipe sounds good! Could you PM it to me, also?

Always looking for something tried and true!!

Thanks,

Aaran

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I just used jennifermi's chocolate fondant Sunday and it was a dream to work with icon_smile.gif I liked it much better then and it was easier to work with then chocopan. Can't wait to see how my DH boss like the taste.

Is her recipe in the recipe section?
I don't care for the taste of Satin Ice (tastes a little too chemically). I've tried every MMF recipe with inconsistent results. I've also made Michele's several times. I love the taste, but it seems a little too soft.
IMO, Fondx tastes pretty good & is easy to work with, but I want a fool-proof recipe when I don't have time to order fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 39

PM me please, Aaran.

Jen icon_smile.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 39

I ONLY use choco-pan. I know some people have said they find it hard to work with, but I love it and can't imagine using anything else. it is a bit too soft for figures, but I usually us modeling choc. for them anyway. Their customer service is AWESOME, and I can almost always order and the UPS man is knocking on my door two days later!

three4thequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three4thequeen Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 10:56pm
post #17 of 39

I have an outdoor summer wedding coming up in two weeks. I normally work with MMF, but the last time I used it everything went wrong. I think the humidity had a lot to do with it. Elephant cracks is a perfect way to describe the issues. Anyway the wedding is outside and it could be hot and humid. I'm planning on using mousseline buttercream on the inside because it can stand up to heat, but what should I use for the fondant. I don't want to order. I want to make my own and I would like to have it taste good as well. I also want something stable that won't melt in heat or humidity. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by three4thequeen

I have an outdoor summer wedding coming up in two weeks. I normally work with MMF, but the last time I used it everything went wrong. I think the humidity had a lot to do with it. Elephant cracks is a perfect way to describe the issues. Anyway the wedding is outside and it could be hot and humid. I'm planning on using mousseline buttercream on the inside because it can stand up to heat, but what should I use for the fondant. I don't want to order. I want to make my own and I would like to have it taste good as well. I also want something stable that won't melt in heat or humidity. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

If your fondant got ugly after the cake was in the heat, it was more likely the buttercream than the fondant causing the problem. If the buttercream melts then the fondant is going to sag. And if the fondant has already dried a bit on the outside, it is going to crack when it sags. I looked up the recipe for mousseline buttercream and the recipes that I found don't look like they would stand up well to heat at all. Butter melts in the heat.

I use Indydebi's buttercream http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html I don't know if it's as hot and humid where you live as it is here, but her recipe performs much better in hot weather than any other I've ever tried.

You probably don't need to change your fondant, just figure out a heat-resistant buttercream to use underneath.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #19 of 39

Her recipe is on her DVDs.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Her recipe is on her DVDs.

Oh, thanks.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 39

I've used Satin Ice, Michele Foster. Toba Garrett, and Sophiebelles, but didn't like the taste enough to keep making them. I like the taste of Chocopan, but it is much softer than others. The only one I like at this point is the Fondarific Butter cream and chocolate fondant. Yummy!!! I have really wanted to have a yummy white chocolate fondant recipe, but haven't had much luck.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 12:53pm
post #22 of 39

I would love to have a white chocolate fondant recipe alsoicon_smile.gif That sounds wonderful!

hynest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hynest Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:17pm
post #23 of 39

I too would love to have the recipe for the white chocolate fondant. I make the mmf but it can be great one time and a big disaster the next. Thanks !

Bonavolonta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonavolonta Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #24 of 39

Has anyone tried Pettinice fondant? I buy it from my local bakers supply store and love it. Tastes just like a marshmallow. I agree with everyone else though.....I would LOVE to try a white chocolate fondant. Sounds so yummy.

cakeychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeychick Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #25 of 39

I use MFF recipe and add melted white chocolate to the mix before I add my PS. It tastes awesome and I have never had a problem with the consistency being too soft.

Karenreg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenreg Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I make a semi-homemade white chocolate fondant that is wonderful! NEVER any elephant skin cracks... performs like a dream. You can roll it super thin and it tastes great!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Jen cud you plez share ur white chocolate fondant recipe with me too. I'd love to try it out.Till date I've only tried the MMF.

emcm51 - cud u plez pm me ur Fondant recipe as well.

SweetT501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetT501 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 4:54am
post #27 of 39

AJen would you share your recipe with me the white chocolate fondant thank you

SweetT501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetT501 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 4:57am
post #28 of 39

AI've got a kids cake to make what kind of fondant does anyone recommend I'd love to make it and save a little money I've tried marshmallow fondant and I didn't care for it . Please help thanks

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 10:52am
post #29 of 39

AIf you have read my previous posts, you're seen me rave about fondarific. I do really like it. It's easy to work with. The trouble is that what makes it so easy is also what makes it so hard. Fondarific is very stretchy and easily smooth. That's great for covering but bad for cut outs.

Last week, I tried 5 lbs of Pettenice & 1 lb of chocopan. One of my mentors uses that combo. Wow! OMG!! Sold'. Converted. Trouble is chocopan is a fortune & I still have a lot of Fondarific. No problem! Switched Fondarific for chocopan with almost same exact results. Converted & never going back.

The o ly downside is petinice only comes white & ivory. Thank goodness fondarific comes in so many shades.

Chrissys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrissys Posted 21 May 2013 , 2:09am
post #30 of 39

A

Original message sent by JenniferMI

Im not sure if you're still seeing this but is there a recipe to tjis one?

Jen [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%