Coffee Flavored Smb

Baking By HIPrincess Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 12:25am by PinkZiab

HIPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HIPrincess Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 3

I am not a coffee drinker and need some quick ideas on how to make a flavored coffee filling using SMB. I am locked into the SMB, any suggestions? Also, I can not use instant. Sorry for the limitations, but that is the request. TIA

2 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 3

Just an idea...

If you're unable to use instant, could you possibly make imbc and use coffee instead of water to make your syrup?

I know boiling coffee for that length of time may make it taste burnt but then again, it may not

Another idea....

what if you ground your regular coffee REALLY WELL and stirred it together with your sugar/egg white mixture while heating it (so that the flavor releases) then, continue as usual.

If you don't want the flecks of coffee in your icing, don't grind it any further...just use regular grind....heat it with the sugar/egg white mixture...strain into a clean mixer bowl and proceed to the beating stage...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 3

If you can get your hands on Trablit, a french coffee extract (I believe surfasonline.com carries it). It's pricey, but gives the BEST coffee flavor... and it makes meringue buttercreams taste like heaven. This is what I use for all of my coffee-flavored recipes that don't call for actual brewed coffee.

Other than that, you can get coffee flavored syrup at the supermarket (usually where the chocolate syrup is) and that's decent. Not sure why you can't use instant, but you with high quality instant coffee (seems like an oxymoron I know--I'd never drink it but it works well for other thing) you can make a really good tasting coffee flavoring by dissolving it in a small amount of water. You can also do the same thing with regular ground coffee by pouring boiling water over regular ground coffee (although like triple what you would use for drinking) and letting it steep (like tea) and strain with a fine sieve (or, if you have a french press, that's even better).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%