How Do You Explain Edible But Dont Eat?

Decorating By Katiekatiekatie Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm by ninjacakes

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 17

Okay,
So how do you explain to customers gumpaste figures?
I mean they are edible but would you really eat them?
I have trouble explaining this.

Having been a baker for years but I have just started using fondant and gumpaste and now find myself confused...

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Katie

16 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 17

I don't... I make my figures out of fondant with CMC (tylose) added and if they want to eat them, they should go right ahead! At family parties, the kids actually fight over who gets to eat all of the big decorations! Even the flowers... the gumpaste recipe I use for flowers is actually pleasant tasting, and when I am around to serve the cake, I serve the flowers with the cake.

I do inform my customers that there are wires and/or skewers in some of the items, and then should bear that in mind, but otherwise, they can go to town eating everything.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 17

for me it would be:

tastes like:

cooked brussle sprouts (or any green vegetable!) or carrots

black licorice (ick!)

------

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 17

I suppose that is right!

I have made some figures out of RKT and also smaller ones out of gumpaste I am making a wall-e cake for a party this weekend that I wont be there for the cutting I am just concerned that people will not understand.

Thanks for the advice!

As always Doug you gave me a chuckle!

Katie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:29am
post #5 of 17

When your kids mix flour and water together to make christmas ornaments that they can paint (with food coloring) ... TECHNICALLY, those are edible, but would you eat them?

Dirt is edible (as proven by way too many of our kids), but would you serve it to your guests at dinner?

Many of the "green" cleaners advertise "safe enough to drink", but would you really pour it over glass of ice and stick a straw in it?

I've heard that fruitcake is edible, but I think that one is still open for debate! icon_rolleyes.gif

Lots of things are technically edible, but we don't eat them.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 17

Maybe use the term Nontoxic. School glue is nontoxic ic eaten but tastes yucky. That should get it across.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #7 of 17

I say they are made from edible ingredients, but I just wouldn't recommend it because it doesn't taste very good. It just doesn't taste like anything at all.

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #8 of 17

In culinary school we had a teacher explain it to us as: It is edible but that doesn't mean it's EAT-able.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:08am
post #9 of 17

I say, "Techically, it is edible. However, it tastes bad. Go ahead and taste it if you like."

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:17am
post #10 of 17

I say, It is edible, but not very palatable.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:34am
post #11 of 17

i just say .. it is edible.. but you could break your teeth.. ha! no joke!

missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #12 of 17

Edible but not EATable.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:48am
post #13 of 17

I usually say "everything is edible, but why would you eat it (flower, figurine) when you have a perfectly delicious cake!" However, I know for a fact that when its a wedding cake, kids eat flowers.... You cant explain 200 people wedding party what they should and shouldn't eat....

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:02am
post #14 of 17

Tell them:

This is technically edible but I don't suggest you eat it because it could damage your throat.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:54am
post #15 of 17

when i first bought some gumpaste to make some flowers i tasted a bit from the packet and it tasted and smelt grose! So i would never think of eating the things i made with it!

BUT i found some at my local decorating store that is vanilla flavored and it tastes so good!!! the only thing that would stop me eating the final product with my new vanilla stuff is the fact is it so hard i might break my teeth and scrape my throat lol

Just say they are technically edible but just advise them that they are very hard and don't taste good.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 7:21pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

I say, It is edible, but not very palatable.

This is exactly what I say!

ninjacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninjacakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 17

I don't quite understand. If you're making it out of edible things, why would you basically tell them they can't eat it? Why not go ahead and use modelers clay or figurines? It would be cheaper I would think. I won't tell someone that something is edible if I see a problem with them actually biting it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%