Favorite Cake Mix Doctor Recipe?

Decorating By luminajd Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm by Peridot

luminajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luminajd Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 10

I got the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook from the library. Which are your favorite recipes?
Thanks
(I tried to search here but couldnt find a thread with recipes from the book)

9 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #2 of 10

i have that book and have yet to try any recipes. i have so many cake books that i can't find the time to sit down and read them, or try any recipes. oh...wait...i did try the one with the peanut butter icing and boy that was fantastic! icon_biggrin.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #3 of 10

I've tried the Mom's Layer Cake, Sweet Potato, Carrot, Sour Cream Chocolate, Peaches and Cream, Hummingbird, Milk Chocolate Pound Cake and Mom's Chocolate Syrup Cake all with excellent results. I rate the cakes after I make them and put stars next to the pictures in the front.

I did not care too much for the Easy Tiramasu, apple walnut crisp (too sweet!) or the melted ice cream cake.

The fluffy chocolate and cream cheese icings are awesome!!

I like this book a lot and I also have the CMD chocolate and cupcake books.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:35am
post #4 of 10

Darn Good Chocolate Cake. I haven't tried a lot of the other ones. I have tried the Peaches and cream, wasn't peachy enough for my taste. Darn Good Chocolate is a crowd pleaser and my go-to chocolate cake. I think the binding in my book will always naturally fall open to that page now. The book says to use a bundt pan, but I use just regular cake and cupcake pans.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:24am
post #5 of 10

Darn Good Chocolate Cake is my standby. (I made it tonight in the form of mini-cupcakes with peanut butter filling, baked into the cuppies.)

I don't know the exact name, but one that tastes great, but isn't really for decorating (other than a Fall pumpkin cake from Bundts) is the cake with a dried apricot (or cherry), cinnamon, and chocolate streusel.

I wasn't crazy about the melted ice cream cake. The cream cheese pound cake was quite good. There was also a cranberry cake that used whole berry cranberry sauce that was really good.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 11:12am
post #6 of 10

Oh I loved the melted ice cream cake. Interesting.

The Cake Dr says her favorite ice cream to use is Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia but my understanding is that since the company has been sold this flavor is not near as good.

But I love that recipe--might be the only one I've tried but I forget.

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 10

So far my favorite is the Fluffy Chocolate Frosting but I just got it and only tried a few recipies so far, I want to try they white chocolate pound cake, and several others.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 10

Darn good chocolate cake is the main chocolate cake that we use and we also use the love cake A LOT. We don't use the pomegranate icing, but just the white chocolate cake - it is delicious and a definite crowd pleaser! Seriously, if I bring in a load of mini white chocolate cupcakes filled with ganache and iced with a small amount of buttercream on top my coworkers swarm me to get to them!

We've also had great results with one of the carrot cake recipes, the praline cake, gooey butter bars, and the pistachio cake - yummy, makes me want to go home, get out my cake doctor book and try something new!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 10

Page 167!!!!!! You can't go wrong with the Orange Dreamsicle cake! YUUUUMMMMMicon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 10

I have tried the lemon one made with the lemon cake mix where you add the 7-Up as the liquid. VERY, VERY GOOD and moist! I added lemon flavoring as I like my cake to taste like lemon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%