Styrofoam Half Sphere/dome/ball

Decorating By niccicola Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm by Rylan

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 8

2 questions:

I'm looking for a 3" or 4" half sphere or dome or ball made of styrofoam for a cake topper. I plan on covering it with fondant and making roses on toothpicks so I can just stick it in to make a wedding cake topper. Does anyone know if there is a shop that sells these individually?

Also, how do i protect the cake/fondant underneath it? just a piece of plastic wrap or cover the bottom in fondant?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 8

That's exactly what is on the little white cake with pearls in my pics. Easiest thing to cover in fondant ever. Got mine at Michael's or Joann's, can't remember.

niccicola Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 8

so it's okay to u se the green ones?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 8

Don't know what the US prices are but Michael's price is 5x higher than the Walmart price here in Canada for the exact same 1/2 dome.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 8

Oh yeah, forgot about Walmart!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 8

I do this all the time. I get the white styrofoam balls either at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, cut them in half, and cover them with fondant.

For the roses, I make the rose cone out of gumpaste. Take 18 or 20 gauge floral wire, cut into the lengths you want, heat the tip with a lighter, when the tip is red hot, put it into the rose cone. Let dry overnight. the gumpaste will adhere to the wire and won't come out. Make sure you don't put the wire in to deep so it doesn't come out the top of the cone. I do all of mine a couple days before I make the roses.

Hope this helps!

niccicola Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 8

yeah, i'll check Micheals/Walmart/Ac Moore

and I didn't think about doing the rose cones of floral wire. i figured toothpicks would work, too.

So, how many roses do you think would cover a 3 or 4 inch ball? Thanks

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 8

It depends on how big each rose is going to be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%