If You Could Have Just One Dvd, Book And Specialty Tool...

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 2:15am by MORSELSBYMARK

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 6

What would they be?

My budget is seriously non-existent the moment, but I'm scrimping hardcore because I just HAVE to learn something and there are no classes around me after Wilton classes.

What DVD could you just not live without? (Just as an FYI, i see the Sugarshack Buttercream one as a favorite on here, but I work with SMBC so I'm not sure enough of that DVD would work for my uses?)

Which book? Which one is the most clear to learn from, has the best pictures, best styles, etc?

I'm interested in everything - fondant, gumpaste, figures, etc.

AND, if you could only have one specialty tool, and by that I mean something other than what you can purchase at Michael's and Jo Anns, what would it be? What tool just makes your cakes so much better or is the most fun to work with?

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 6

I love Martha Stewart's book "Wedding Cakes". It has huge pages of cakes and a lot of pictures too. It also has the instructions. Here's the link!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307394530/?tag=cakecentral-20

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 6

I should look it up before posting but Scott Wooley Clarks gum paste flowers DVD. And once it is out the Cakewrecks book

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I should look it up before posting but Scott Wooley Clarks gum paste flowers DVD. And once it is out the Cakewrecks book

I have his book and I like it. I also like Alan Dunn's and Debbi Brown's books. If your on a budget I wouldn't recommend buying Scott's DVD's though as they are quite pricey.
I do hear however that Nicholas Lodge has some good DVD's out and are way cheaper. I also have Sugarflowers dvd which is great also, she shows you how to make the cake in her avatar in that one.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #5 of 6

Oh my goodness, I made a very similar thread but didn't see yours first!

Maybe we'll get some different responses this way!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 6

Do I have to pick just one? Any of the Sharon Zambito DVDs would be my choice. Love Her!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%