Emergency! My Cake Is Cracking Right Down The Middle!

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 9 Aug 2009 , 2:05am by agentdorkfish

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 9

Is there any way to save it??

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 9

Stick it in the fridge to firm it up, then try to glue it back together with icing. If that doesn't work I can't think of anything else that would help icon_sad.gif

agentdorkfish Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 9

*sigh* I think that there is no hope. I have a back-up pound cake mix. I guess I'll just bake another cake. I really wanted it to be a chocolate cake, though. icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 9

Many of us have saved many a cake - just push the pieces together after smearing some b'cream on them......unless it is in many pieces.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 9

many a time have i decorated and served a broken cake! patch it up, cover it up, and you should be fine icon_smile.gif
if you do rebake though, you can turn your box mix into a chocolate cake - i think youd want a WASC variation.
xx

agentdorkfish Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone. By the time I got off the computer and went back to the cake, it was already breaking into four pieces. So, I practiced some piping on it. It's really ugly but my family will eat it! I'll bake again in the morning.

What causes a cake to split like that?

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 9

With mine always cracking, it was a box mix, or I took it out of the pan too soon and the bulge on the top seemed to break it apart.
I agree with brincess-b, do a variation of WASC chocolate form.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 9

was it breaking without handling? or had it started to break when you handled it?
if you lie a cake upside down, so the dome on the top becomes the bottom, that can lead to cracking. if it was sitting on its original bottom, and breaking without handling, i dont have any suggestions as to prevention im afraid!
xx

agentdorkfish Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #9 of 9

It was sitting all by its lonesome when it decided to go to pieces. I guess gravity was just against me that day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%