Groom Cake Help!

Decorating By megmarie Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm by cylstrial

megmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megmarie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 6

For my friends wedding we wanted to make her hubby-to-be a golf cake as a surprise. We were planning on using crusted butter cream since we are both pretty new to cake decorating. There are a ton of really great examples on CC, but does anyone have a suggestion on:
1. How to make the indents in the golf ball nice and symmetrical?
2. Instead of buying the Wilton ball pan, is there any way to bake in a round pyrex bowl to get the same effect?

5 replies
cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 6

To your second question, Yes. I have made a baseball using a round pyrex bowl. Works great, and you get a filling in the cake too!

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

When I made my golf ball cake I used a wooden dowel and just rounded off the end with sand paper. Then you poke it all around the cake. If you have a fondant ball tool you could use that as well. It's a little time consuming no matter how you do it because you have to make every indent individually, unless someone knows an easier way icon_biggrin.gif

megmarie Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #4 of 6

Thank You both! I plan to use both tips, I will have to post my results next week icon_lol.gif

megmarie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 6

I did it! Thank you two again for your help! While the pyrex trick did not work with my pund cake recipe, I just ended up hand carving a ball. The dowel trick worked great when I dipped it in corn starch!

icon_biggrin.gif You both were so helpful I can't thank you enough!
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 6

It turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%