Plastic Containers And Pvc Info

Decorating By Yankie Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 5:44am by patticakesnc

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 11

This might have already been covered here on CC..but I never really knew..so i'm sure is great info for those of us that have no idea. Hope it helps!!

I was watching the show "The Doctors"...and they were talking about plastic containers and how some of them can be toxic. I know we all keep our frostings in plastic containers and we also heat things in the microwave, so we need to be careful.

They mentioned that there is a number under the plastic container that indicates the type of plastic the containder is made of. They said that number 1, 2, 4 and 5 are the safe ones and not number 3..which is PVC.

This is very similar to the thread about PVC used for rolling fondant..apparently, it should not have contact with fatty foods specially at high temperatures..

I found this article..and I think the difference is that the water does not have fatty stuff in it...and that's why is ok to use...I think that is the big difference.

So when it says fatty foods..would that be like shortening? Silly question but I wonder. Here is the article:

Plastics: What Do Those Numbers Mean?

In addition to PVC (polyvinyl chloride), also avoid using the following plastics with food, as a precaution: #6 PS (polystyrene) and polycarbonate (often indicated by the #7). These plastics have also exhibited the ability to leach questionable chemicals into foods they come into contact with, especially fatty foods and particularly at higher temperatures.

By the numbers
Often found on the bottom of plastic bottles, other containers, and shopping bags, the numbers and letters shown with the chasing-arrows "recycling" symbol mean the following:

#1 PETE or PET (polyethylene terephthalate): used for most clear beverage bottles.

#2 HDPE (high density polyethylene): used for "cloudy" milk and water jugs, opaque food bottles.

#3 PVC or V (polyvinyl chloride): used in some cling wraps (especially commercial brands), some "soft" bottles.

#4 LDPE (low density polyethylene): used in food storage bags and some "soft" bottles.

#5 PP (polypropylene): used in rigid containers, including some baby bottles, and some cups and bowls.

#6 PS (polystyrene): used in foam "clam-shell"-type containers, meat and bakery trays, and in its rigid form, clear take-out containers, some plastic cutlery and cups. Polystyrene may leach styrene into food it comes into contact with. A study in Environmental Health Perspectives concluded that some styrene compounds leaching from food containers are estrogenic (meaning they can disrupt normal hormonal functioning). Styrene is also considered a possible human carcinogen by the World Health Organizations International Agency for Research on Cancer.

#7 Other (usually polycarbonate): used in 5-gallon water bottles, some baby bottles, some metal can linings. Polycarbonate can release its primary building block, bisphenol A, another suspected hormone disruptor, into liquids and foods. In 1998, the Japanese government ordered manufacturers there to recall and destroy polycarbonate tableware meant for use by children because it contained excessive amounts of bisphenol

A. Other sources of potential bisphenol A exposure include food can linings and dental sealants.

Unfortunately, many plastic products are not labeled with a number or initials. When in doubt, you can call the manufacturer directly. On food products, there is usually a toll-free question/comment number listed.

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 11

and once again...

conflicting advice.

so, if PVC is SO bad...

then why allowed to make cling wraps out of it?

after all they DO contact fatty foods (consider cling wrapped meats! -- and all those homemade salads!)

---

so again..

MODERATION

You ARE all going to die....it is the WAY of the WORLD.

if it's not plastic that kills you, then maybe sugar, or chocolate or that kid who is so getting on your last never (Kid you're going to be the death of me yet!)

or walking across the street

or driving in your car

or falling down (stairs, over the dog/cat, your own two feet)

or choking

or a sizzling experience with a frayed electrical cords or stray lightening bolt.

----

repeat -- news flash --

you ARE going to die.

Mother Nature will see it -- you have little choice in the matter.

---

back to my Mom

I'm going to die anyway. I'm going to die HAPPY!
(too polite to say take this medicine and put shove it)

(her doctor just didn't know what to do with her!)

----

we can argue from now until WE ALL DIE!

and all will have accomplished will be---

to die.

----

can we just lay this to rest -- ie LET IT DIE!?

Yankie Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 11

Doug,

You are completely correct...I feel the same way..I had been waiting for the show to see what they would say because I had seen the previews..and they said ONLY 1, 2, 4 and 5 are save to use with food.

So i'm with you..but there are so many people on here that are very concerned about all these types of things..so I figure I would post it. Specially because of the containers we use.

Thanks!!

Doug Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 11

staying healthy is just

TOO MUCH WORK!!!!
icon_razz.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 11

Thanks for posting the info!
I did skim some info last night on my own and found conflicting info about the general safety of PVC pipes.

Doug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:52am
post #6 of 11

let's argue about something else, please.

Joffy -- Mets are better!

Yankie Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 4:58am
post #7 of 11

NO Doug YANKEES ARE!! LOL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:02am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

You ARE all going to die....it is the WAY of the WORLD.

if it's not plastic that kills you, then maybe sugar, or chocolate or that kid who is so getting on your last never (Kid you're going to be the death of me yet!)

or walking across the street

or driving in your car

or falling down (stairs, over the dog/cat, your own two feet)

or choking

or a sizzling experience with a frayed electrical cords or stray lightening bolt.

Hey, did you hear that Final Destination 4 is coming out soon?

Doug Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Hey, did you hear that Final Destination 4 is coming out soon?

yes..... gotta hand it to the script and special effects people -- so creative!

I loved the one where the lady driving the minvan got it when they used the jaws of life! how ironic! wonderfully twisted sense of humor!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #10 of 11

I liked the tanning bed...I always knew those things were dangerous icon_biggrin.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 5:44am
post #11 of 11

This is a little animated clip...It's cute but tells you about the bad plastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmE_b90XTU&feature=channel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%