Ice Cream Cake

Decorating By carlascakes Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm by PinkZiab

carlascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlascakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 5

has anyone ever done one ? any advice would be nice. some one is wanting this in nov

4 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 5

I've made a couple of ice cream cakes with good results. I use a springform pan with the removable bottom because it's easier to serve. You'll want to select a cardboard cake circle that's the same size as the pan. Cover the cake cardboard with aluminum foil and place it in the bottom of the springform pan. I buy whatever flavor of ice cream I want (or make my own homemade) and let it sit out a little bit to thaw until it's softened. Spread the softened ice cream on top of the foil-covered cardboard in the bottom of the pan until the pan is about half full. Then sprinkle crushed oreo cookies on top and drizzle with a little bit of chocolate fudge. Then spread the remainder of the softened ice cream over that and smooth it out on top. Cover the pan in plastic wrap and then wrap tightly with foil. Put it in the freezer to harden up - at least 24 hours. When you remove the pan from the freezer you can remove the collar from around the pan and then lift the cake cardboard and cake off of the bottom of the springform pan. You can place the whole cake on a serving platter. To ice the cake, mix equal parts ice cream with frozen Cool-Whip. You can spread this on or pipe details, whatever you'd like. To cut, heat your knife in hot water and wipe dry, then cut.

Hope this helps!

carlascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlascakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5

thanks that really help. and the idea spring pan is great. but what about icing in bc?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 5

I made one a few weeks ago....great idea about the cake board! Didn't think of that.

I found that you do need more ice cream than you think...I had a 10" springform pan and I only bought two containers of ice cream...should have used three!

For icing it though I just used straight Cool Whip and I thought it was excellent, even piped a border around it as well.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 5

I like to make mine with cake and ice cream. I bake and torte my cake and cool it thoroughly (but this can easily be done with two, 2", untorted layers and ice cream in the middle). I place the first cake layer on a cardboard in an acetate lined cake ring (you can also use a springform or even a plastic wrap lined cake pan) then I put in the ice cream (I make my own so I find it's best to do it directly out of the machine, but otherwise soften the ice cream, but be sure it's not starting to melt or the texture will be off) then place the other cake layer on top and pres down HARD... continue for any additional layers, if necessary. You can also add layers of crunchies, fudge sauce, etc between the cake and ice cream for even more fun. I wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap and then freeze well (overnight usually).

After that, I unmold and decorate as usual. Buttercream and ganache are my favorites!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%