Help!!! How Do I Fix My Buttercream???

Baking By Poodiecakes Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm by __Jamie__

Poodiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poodiecakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 4

Made a big boo-boo. I thought I could substitute hi-ratio shortening for crisco with Wilton's buttercream recipe and it is a big flop. When I tasted it I thought it wasn't that great but if I let it sit it would get better with time. To kill time I logged onto the internet and searched hi ratio recipes and they call for butter and much more meringue powder....ugh!!!

I made three batches before I realized my mistake....any sugguestions on how to fix it?

3 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 4

Wait....you have hi ratio, or you have Crisco? I am confused. If you have hi ratio, for goodness sake, try out Sugarshack's recipe! Forget that Wilton recipe! I am saying this as a bonafide icing snob, and a die hard SMBC user, who needs a heatproof recipe for the summertime. This recipe is godsend!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html

If you have a smaller KA, there are conversions as well in the forums section. I'll try to track it down.

Poodiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poodiecakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 4

I used hi ratio but i usually use crisco. What I want to do is try to salvage the three batches that I have made already for use this weekend.

Thanks for the recipe - I'm going to check it out to see if I can somehow doctor up what I have to taste more like frosting and less like almond flavored shortening. icon_cry.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 4

You'll love it. Make sure to follow it exactly. Icing has to be above the paddle, up to the springs to get the true results. And hot hot hot liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%